Topology and order type problem

In summary, the question asks if {1,2}xZ+ and Z+ x {1,2} are of the same order type in the dictionary order. To prove this, a bijection (order isomorphism) must be constructed between the two sets. While a bijection can be found from Z+ x {1,2} to Z+, there is no bijection from the other set to Z+ due to the presence of "two infinities." Therefore, it can be concluded that the two sets are not of the same order type.
g1990

Homework Statement

Both {1,2}x Z+ and Z+ x {1,2} are well-ordered in the dictionary order. Are they of the same order type? Why or why not?

Homework Equations

To be of the same order type, we must be able to construct a bijection that preserves order, that is, x<y => f(x)<f(y). well-ordered means that every nonempty subset has a minimal element.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I need to find a bijection between the two, but I can't seem to think of one. I can get a bijection from Z+ x {1,2} to Z+, but I can't find one from the other one to Z+

Physics news on Phys.org

oh yeah- Z+ is the set of positive integers

g1990 said:
I know I need to find a bijection between the two,
Are you sure?

well, I don't know how I can prove that there is no bijection. Again, I know I can find a bijection from Z+ to {1,2}xZ+, but listing the other set in order would entail TWO infinities. It would be (1,1),(1,2),(1,3)... (2,1),(2,2),(2,3)... is that enough to say that Z+ x {1,2} cannot be bijected into Z+ and therefore there is no bijection between them?

That's the basic idea.

However, given that you're just learning this stuff, your teacher probably expects you to both provide the basic idea and fill in the details to turn it into a proof.

e.g. why would having "two infinities" make a difference? Are you sure Z+ doesn't have "two infinities"?

okay- thanks!

Oh, and for the record -- you want the term "order isomorphism", not "bijection". While every order isomorphism is a bijection, not all bijections are order isomorphisms.

1. What is topology and order type problem?

Topology and order type problem is a mathematical concept that deals with the arrangement and classification of objects based on their spatial relationships and order. It involves studying the properties of geometric figures and their transformations without considering their specific measurements.

2. How is topology and order type problem used in real life?

Topology and order type problem has various applications in real life, such as in computer science, physics, and biology. It is used to study the structure and behavior of complex systems, design efficient networks and algorithms, and analyze data in fields like genetics and neuroscience.

3. What are some key concepts in topology and order type problem?

Some key concepts in topology and order type problem include continuity, connectedness, compactness, and order type. Continuity refers to the idea that small changes in one object do not affect its overall structure. Connectedness is the property of being able to travel from one point to another without breaking the object. Compactness describes the ability to fit an object into a finite space. Order type is the arrangement of objects based on their relative positions.

4. How does topology and order type problem differ from other mathematical fields?

Topology and order type problem differs from other mathematical fields in that it focuses on the qualitative properties of objects rather than their quantitative measurements. It also studies the behavior of objects under continuous transformations, rather than specific operations like addition and multiplication.

5. What are some open problems in topology and order type problem?

Some open problems in topology and order type problem include the classification of high-dimensional manifolds, the existence of exotic structures on topological spaces, and the development of efficient algorithms for topological analysis. Other open problems involve the application of topology and order type problem in fields like neuroscience and data analysis.