1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[topology] compact, locally connected, quotient topology

1. Jan 7, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let X be a compact and locally connected topological space. Prove that by identifying a finite number of points of X, one gets a topological space Y that is connected for the quotient topology.

2. Relevant equations
    The components of a locally connected space are open.

3. The attempt at a solution
    And thus the set of components [itex]\mathcal C[/itex] is an open covering of X and since the components are disjoint and X is compact, [itex]\mathcal C = \{ C_1, \cdots, C_N \}[/itex] must be finite. Define [itex]I = \{1, \cdots, N \}[/itex]. Take for each [itex]n \in I[/itex] a [itex]x_n \in C_n[/itex]. Now define the equivalence relation [itex]\sim[/itex] on X such that [itex]x \sim y \Leftrightarrow \left\{ \begin{array}{l} y \sim x \\ x = y \\ x,y \in \{x_n \}_{n \in I} \end{array} \right.[/itex], or simply put: we identify all the x_n's as one point. This gives us a space Y with the quotient topology and we prove that this is connected.

Suppose that Y were not connected. Let [itex]Y = A\cup B[/itex] be a separation of Y. Suppose without loss of generality that [itex][x_n] \in A[/itex]. Since A and B are open, we know that [itex]\tilde A = p^{-1}(A)[/itex] and [itex]\tilde B = p^{-1}(B)[/itex] must be open, where p is defined as [itex]p: X \to Y: x \mapsto [x][/itex]. Since [itex]X = \tilde A \cup \tilde B[/itex] and [itex]\tilde A, \tilde B[/itex] are non-empty (due to surjectivity of p) and disjoint (as pre-images), [itex]\tilde A \cup \tilde B[/itex] forms a separation of X. Now since [itex][x_n] \in A[/itex], for all [itex]n \in I: x_n \in \tilde A[/itex], but since each [itex]C_n[/itex] is a component, we have that [itex]n \in I: C_n \subset \tilde A[/itex], giving that [itex]\tilde B = \emptyset[/itex]. Contradiction.

So even though the formulation of the problem allows a finite number of identifications, one is all you need?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

The proof is correct.

Note that the problem statement said "identification of finitely many points". So, I read that as: take finitely many points and identify them to one point. So you did exactly what the problem statement required of you.

4. Jan 7, 2012 #3
    Ah, that makes sense :) thank you (again)!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook