1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

TOPOLOGY: homeomorphism between quotient spaces

1. Mar 23, 2008 #1
    Show the following spaces are homeomorphic: [tex]\mathbb{R}^2, \mathbb{R}^2/I, \mathbb{R}^2/D^2[/tex].

Note: [tex]D^2[/tex] is the closed ball of radius 1 centered at the origin. [tex]I[/tex] is the closed interval [0,1] in [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex].

THEOREM:
    It is enough to find a surjective, continuous map [tex]f:X\rightarrow Y[/tex] to show that [tex]X/S(f)\approx Y[/tex].

I can easily show [tex]R^2/D^2 \approx R^2[/tex] by sending every point in [tex]D^2[/tex] to the origin and, for every point outside [tex]D^2[/tex], letting [tex]f(r,\theta)=(r-1,\theta)[/tex].

I am having difficulty showing that [tex]\mathbb{R}^2/I[/tex] is homeomorphic to either [tex]\mathbb{R}^2[/tex] or [tex]\mathbb{R}^2/D^2[/tex]. First, I do not understand the notation [tex]\mathbb{R}^2/I[/tex] since I is traditionally a subset of R, not R^2. Does [tex]\mathbb{R}^2/I[/tex] mean:

(1) points on the x-axis are equivalent iff the x coordinate falls in [0,1] and all other points (any point x,y where y=/=0) are not equivalent, OR
    (2) (x,y)~(w,z) iff y=z and [tex]x,w\in[0,1][/tex], OR
    (3) (x,y)~(w,z) iff [tex]x,w\in[0,1][/tex] regardless of y and z?

If it means (2), then I simply take f so that f(x,y)=(0,y) for x in [0,1], f(x,y)=(x-1,y) for x>1 and f(x,y)=(x,y) for x<0.

If it is (1), I can find a surjective (but not continous!) map f that takes [0,1]x{0} to (0,0), (x,0) to (x-1,0) for x>1, and leaves all other points where they are.

For (3), I can find a continuous surjective map from R^2 to R^2/I where f(x,y)=(x,y) for [tex]x\leq0[/tex] and f(x,y)=(x+1,y) for x>0.

Can someone clarify what [tex]\mathbb{R}^2/I[/tex] means? If it means (1), any hints?

Thanks. :)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2008 #2
    Asked a friend - I think, we're using definition (2) for the problem, in which case I've got a solution.

Thanks. :)

4. Nov 29, 2010 #3
    Sorry if this is too late for your needs.

A general result that will help you here is that if A is contractible in X, then

X/A is homeo to X , which kind of makes sense, since you may consider A as

a single point in X, and then X/{pt.} is a trivial quotient. In this case, D^2 is

contractible in R^2 , and I is ( I am.?) also contractible, both in R, and in R^2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?