Topology question concerning global continuity of the canonical map.

In summary, the set of integers, Z, inherits the discrete topology from R. This means that all sets are open and closed, allowing any function from Z to any topological space to be continuous.
Wodfrag

Homework Statement

If the set \Z of integers is equipped with the relative topology inherited from ℝ, and κ:\Z→\Z_n (where κ is a canonical map and \Z_n is the residue class modulo n) what topology/topologies on \Z_n will render κ globally continuous?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think i have found that κ will be globally continuous if \Z_n is equipped with the trivial (where the open sets are ∅ and \Z_n itself) topology, since \Z_n itself will be an open neighborhood of an element in \Z_n, hence for every x \in \Z κ(x)\in \Z_n. I cannot figure out however if i can apply any other topologies on \Z_n such that κ will be globally continuous.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Since intuition may help to decide which way to go, try some of these tricks that I love, but sadly rarely come in handy:(

In order for the map to remain continuous, close points must map to close points. And the more open sets you have, the farther apart points are. But in the discrete topology, every set is an open set, you have as many open sets as possible, so points are really far apart.

That means that no points are close together.

So when I said that close points map to close points, we have no close points, so they can map as far apart as we like. Okay the logic is getting weird, but here's where I'm thinking we are at this point:

We can have any topology in Z_n. Then any open set will pull back to an open set, because every set in Z is open.

Perhaps every map out of the discrete topology is continuous.

Last edited:
The set of integers, Z, is discrete and the topology inherited from R is the discrete topology. All sets are open (and closed) so that any function from Z to any topological space is continuous.

Thanks for the answers! You make it sound so very simple..

Thanks for the answers! You make it sound so very simple..

1. What is the canonical map in topology?

The canonical map in topology is a mapping between two topological spaces, usually denoted as f: X → Y. It is a continuous function that preserves the topological structure of the two spaces, meaning that it maps open sets to open sets.

2. What does global continuity mean in topology?

Global continuity in topology refers to the continuity of a function over the entire domain of the space. In other words, a function is globally continuous if it is continuous at every point in the space. This is in contrast to local continuity, which only requires continuity at a specific point or a small neighborhood.

3. How is continuity of the canonical map related to global continuity?

The continuity of the canonical map is directly related to global continuity. Since the canonical map is a continuous function, it is globally continuous. This means that the canonical map preserves the topological structure of the two spaces over the entire domain.

4. What is the importance of global continuity in topology?

Global continuity is crucial in topology because it ensures that the topological structure is preserved throughout the entire space. This allows for the study and analysis of topological properties and structures without being limited to specific points or neighborhoods. Additionally, it allows for the extension of results from local continuity to global continuity, making it a powerful tool in topology.

5. Are there any examples of topological spaces where the canonical map is not globally continuous?

Yes, there are examples of topological spaces where the canonical map is not globally continuous. One such example is the topological space known as the long line, which is a non-compact, connected, and locally compact space. In this space, the canonical map is not globally continuous since it is discontinuous at the endpoints of the line.