1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Topology question - is this function an open map? sin(1/x)

1. Nov 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This problem is from Schaum's Outline, chapter 7 #38 i believe.
    Let f: (0, inf) -> [-1,1] be given as f(x) = sin(1/x), where R is given the usual euclidean metric topology and (0,inf) and [-1,1] are given the relative subspace topology.
    Show that f is not an open map.

3. The attempt at a solution

I thought about this for so long but I can't see how this function is not an open map. Let A be an open subset of (0,inf) (we can take A to be an interval of the form (a,b) since these form a base for the topology). Pick any point x in A. Then there is an open neighborhood G of x that lies in A. If f is monotone in an open neighborhood of x, I can intersect that neighborhood with G to get a neighborhood H of x, lying inside A, on which f is monotone. Clearly in that case f[H] would be of the form (a,b) subset of [-1,1].
    For the case when f is not monotone on any neighborhood of x, this only happens when f[x] = 1 or f[x] = -1. in this case, any open neighborhood of x would map to an interval of the form (a,1] or [-1, a). This is open in [-1,1] under the relative subspace topology.
    Doesn't this show that f is open?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2009 #2
    inspect 0 more. what does an open neighborhood (0, x) map into?

4. Nov 11, 2009 #3
    I've thought of that, but any such interval maps to the whole codomain [-1,1], which is open in the relative topology, so not really sure how that helps?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook