Topology Questions (studying for test)

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help for a test next week. They are working on a problem involving the axis in the plane and are asking for help to describe the topology that inherits a subspace of R2. There is a discussion about whether to continue adding to the same thread or start a new one for each question. It is determined that open intervals on the real line would be the topology for any line in R2, which are essentially one-dimensional circles. The student is advised to start a new thread for each question to avoid annoying others.
Damascus Road
Greetings all,
I have a test upcoming next week and a lot of problems to solve. I asked in a previous thread whether or not I should just continue to adding to the thread and it seems the answer was yes. I appreciate any help! This is a tough subject.

Anyways, the first one I'm working on. I know it's simple but the wording is confusing me...

[tex] Let x = {(x,0) \in R^{2} | x \in R [/tex] the axis in the plane. Describe the topology that inherits a subspace of [tex] R^{2} [/tex] with the standard topology.

So, it's asking what topology the axis creates? Where the axis is the subspace, right?

(edit: I don't know why spaces within the tex seem to be ignored...)

Physics news on Phys.org
Greetings Damascus Road! :smile:

(type "\text{ Let }" :wink:)

the topology for R2 is little open circles …

so the topology for any line in R2 is … ? :wink

(btw, I would start a new thread each time)

Open intervals on the real line?

Yup! :biggrin:

But are those open intervals also circles?

(btw, I would start a new thread each time)

You don't think so many threads will annoy people? I don't want to make people mad and turn them off from helping :(

Damascus Road said:
But are those open intervals also circles?

they're one-dimensional circles! :biggrin:

(and no, you're far more likely to annoy people by dragging a thread out, and making them feel they have to keep replying to new questions that they weren't expecting! :wink:)

Ok thanks, I'll start another one :) :)

1. What is topology?

Topology is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of geometric objects that are preserved through continuous deformations, such as stretching or bending, but not tearing or gluing.

2. What are some common topological spaces?

Some common topological spaces include the real line, the plane, and the sphere. Other examples include the torus, the Möbius strip, and the Klein bottle.

3. What is the difference between open and closed sets?

An open set is a set that does not include its boundary points, while a closed set includes all of its boundary points. In other words, an open set is one that is "open" to its surroundings, while a closed set is one that is "closed off" from its surroundings.

4. What is a topological property?

A topological property is a property that is preserved under continuous deformations. This means that if two geometric objects have the same topological property, they can be continuously deformed into one another without changing that property.

5. How is topology used in real life?

Topology has many practical applications, such as in engineering, physics, computer science, and biology. It can be used to understand the behavior of physical systems, design efficient networks and circuits, and analyze complex data sets, among other things.