Torque and power in a geared sytem

In summary, the conversation revolved around a problem involving calculating the power in a shaft and determining the maximum torque in another shaft. The person asking for help was unsure if the power in the second shaft should be 95% of the input power or if it should be calculated separately. They attempted to solve it themselves, but got a higher power than the input. They also questioned if the angular velocity and torque were different. They then attempted to solve for the maximum torque in the second shaft and got a value of 579.07 nm. They asked if their solution was correct.
jmiersy

Homework Statement

The problem is attached, I am only looking for guidance on a, I am most probably just completely over complicating this.

Homework Equations

p=T.2(pi).f

t= torque
f=frequency/rot/sec

The Attempt at a Solution

im just stuck on wether the power in shaft b is simply 95percent of the systems input power, or wether i calculate the torque in shaft a, and then calcualte the power in b and subtract a 5 percent from that. Thats what i tried however I got a power higher then the input. Please help.

Attachments

• forumq.pdf
    109.5 KB · Views: 388
Physics news on Phys.org
p.s. thanks in advance.

so I am leaning towards the idea that power is simply .95 percent of the power supplied, meaning that the angular velocity and the torque are obviously different. am i on the right track of understanding this?

so assuming that this is correct, i then attempted b.
it asks for max torque in shaft b, max torque occurs at max power.
max power occurs when 2444 rpm.
40/208 = .1923 rotations to every one of the small gear
x by 2444
/60
= 7.8 rots/sec of the large gear.
so
p=T.2(pi).f
28.5x10^3=T.2(pi).7.833
T=579.07 nm

does this look correct?

thanks for input.

As a scientist, it is important to carefully consider all factors in a problem before arriving at a solution. In this case, it is necessary to understand the relationship between torque and power in a geared system. Torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object, while power is the rate at which work is done. In a geared system, the torque is multiplied by the gear ratio, while the power remains the same.

To solve this problem, it is important to first calculate the torque in shaft A. This can be done by using the equation T= P/2(pi)f, where P is the power and f is the frequency in rotations per second. Once the torque in shaft A is determined, the gear ratio can be used to calculate the torque in shaft B.

Next, the power in shaft B can be calculated by using the equation P=T(2(pi)f), where T is the torque and f is the frequency. This will give the total power in shaft B. However, since the question specifies that the power in shaft B is only 95% of the input power, it is necessary to multiply the calculated power by 0.95 to get the actual power in shaft B.

In summary, to accurately calculate the torque and power in a geared system, it is important to consider the gear ratio and the specified percentage of power in the output shaft. By carefully applying these equations and considering all factors, a more accurate solution can be obtained.

What is torque and power in a geared system?

Torque is the rotational force applied to an object, while power is the rate at which work is done. In a geared system, torque and power are important factors in determining the efficiency and performance of the system.

How is torque and power calculated in a geared system?

To calculate torque in a geared system, you can use the formula torque = force x distance. Power is calculated by multiplying torque by the rotational speed of the system.

What is the relationship between torque and gear ratio in a geared system?

The gear ratio is the ratio of the number of teeth on the driving gear to the number of teeth on the driven gear. In a geared system, the torque is inversely proportional to the gear ratio - meaning that as the gear ratio increases, the torque decreases.

How does friction affect torque and power in a geared system?

Friction can greatly impact the efficiency of a geared system by causing a loss of torque and power. This can be minimized by using high-quality gears with low friction coefficients and proper lubrication.

What are some common applications of torque and power in geared systems?

Geared systems are commonly used in various machines and vehicles, such as cars, bicycles, and industrial machinery. They are also used in power transmission systems, such as wind turbines and engines.