Torque direction using right hand rule

In summary, the conversation is discussing the direction of the torque exerted by tension T1 in a given image. The participants debate whether it is positive or negative, with one suggesting that it depends on the axis and the other suggesting it is positive based on the right hand rule.
-EquinoX-

Homework Statement

I am confused on the drawing below, is the direction of the torque exerted by tension T1 positive or negative?

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/5190/katrolrh3.jpg
http://g.imageshack.us/img444/katrolrh3.jpg/1/

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'd say it's positive, as using the right hand rule.. my thumb points towards me... is this right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think that would be correct if you were saying that the counterclockwise direction is positive. That would make T2 negative, if that makes sense.

Since the torque is a vector, whether it is "positive" or "negative" depends on how you choose your axis. You are right, the torque points towards you. Asking whether this is positive or negative, without knowing the coordinate axes, is meaningless.

1. What is the right hand rule for determining torque direction?

The right hand rule is a method used to determine the direction of torque in a rotational system. It states that if you point your right thumb in the direction of the applied force, with your fingers curled in the direction of rotation, then your fingers will point in the direction of the torque.

2. Why is the right hand rule used for determining torque direction?

The right hand rule is used because it follows the convention of positive rotation in a counterclockwise direction and negative rotation in a clockwise direction. This convention is widely used in physics and engineering.

3. How is the right hand rule applied in a real-world scenario?

In a real-world scenario, you would place your hand on the object that is rotating and point your fingers in the direction of rotation. Then, you would apply a force with your thumb in the direction of the applied force. The direction your fingers point in is the direction of the torque.

4. Can the right hand rule be used in any rotational system?

Yes, the right hand rule can be used in any rotational system as long as the direction of rotation and applied force are known. It is a universal method for determining torque direction.

5. Are there any variations of the right hand rule for torque direction?

Yes, there is also a left hand rule for determining torque direction. It follows the same concept, but with the left hand instead of the right hand. Additionally, some sources may use different hand positions, such as pointing the fingers in the direction of the applied force and curling them in the direction of rotation.