1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torque = dL / dt ?

1. Oct 13, 2015 #1
    I read this article:
    http://www.freestudy.co.uk/dynamics/gyros.pdf
    at the bottom of page 2, it bolded text it is said "Torque = rate of change of angular momentum"

Is that right? It seems to suggest that Torque = (δ Angular momentum) / (δ time)
    but the units do not appear to work out. Torque is in N*m, the right hand side's unit is kg*m^2*s^-2. I don't know anyway this can equate.

I might have missed something painfully obvious, but I can't see it right now, my head is fried from lack of sleep.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2015 #2
    A Newton is not a base SI unit. You can use Newton's seconds law (##\vec{F} = m\vec{a}##) to find out for yourself.
    You'll see they do match.

4. Oct 14, 2015 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Note that since F = dp/dt, the time rate of change of linear momentum, you should notice the angular equivalent of the expression for torque, i.e. T = dL/dt, the time rate of change of angular momentum. Torque is the "force equivalent" in rotational motion.

There is a completely analogous set of equations between linear motion and angular motion. If you can find the angular equivalent of a linear expression, then the angular kinematics is almost identical.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook