Torque equation of an electric motor

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of torque in a rotor surface by considering the axial current, radial flux density, and Lorentz force. The equation for torque is derived by multiplying the force per unit area by the entire area of the rotor and the radius of the rotor. However, there is confusion about the application of the Lorentz equation in this scenario. The contributor suggests that the force on a current carrying conductor is BIL, but the torque produced by the coil is BILd. The conversation ends with a comment about the contents of the textbook not making sense.
fonz
The example I am looking at in my textbook starts by considering and area of the rotor surface of width w and length L.

Then the axial current flowing in the width w is equal to I=wA which is exposed to a radial flux density B

So from the Lorentz force F=IBxL the equation becomes

F= wABxL

so the force per unit area is F/wL which becomes:

F=BA

Then to obtain the torque the force per area is multiplied by the entire area of the rotor (2∏rL) then multplied by the radius of the rotor

So the overall torque equation becomes:

T=BA x 2∏rL x r

What doesn't make sense is how can the current be equal to wA? by the Lorentz equation the force on a current carrying conductor is IBxL so the width and area of the conductor carrying the current I does not matter? so why does it apply here?

Regards
Dan

Engineering news on Phys.org
I agree with you. Without seeing any diagram I would say the force on the side of the coil of length L will be BIL. The torque produced by the coil will be BILd where d is the separation of the sides of length L. Ld is the area of the coil.
If the coil is in a uniform field then the torque will be BIASinθ where θ is the angle between the field and the normal to the plane of the coil.
If the coil has N turns then the torqe is BNIASinθ
I don't understand what seems to be in your book !
hope this is some help

1. What is the torque equation of an electric motor?

The torque equation of an electric motor is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the motor's torque, applied voltage, and current. It is commonly expressed as T = KI, where T is the torque, K is the motor's torque constant, and I is the current.

2. How is the torque constant of an electric motor determined?

The torque constant of an electric motor can be determined experimentally by measuring the motor's torque and the corresponding current. It can also be calculated using the motor's physical properties, such as the number of turns in the motor's windings and the strength of the magnetic field.

3. What factors affect the torque equation of an electric motor?

The torque equation of an electric motor is affected by various factors, including the motor's physical design, the strength of the magnetic field, the number of turns in the motor's windings, and the current and voltage applied to the motor.

4. How does the torque equation of an electric motor relate to its power output?

The torque equation of an electric motor is directly related to its power output. The higher the torque, the more power the motor can produce. This is because power is calculated by multiplying torque by rotational speed (P = Tω).

5. Can the torque equation of an electric motor be used to predict its performance?

Yes, the torque equation of an electric motor can be used to predict its performance. By inputting different values for current and voltage, the resulting torque can be calculated and used to determine the motor's power output and efficiency. However, other factors such as friction and load must also be taken into consideration for accurate predictions.