Torque, Internal forces & external forces.

In summary, the conversation is discussing the concept of torque and the effect of internal and external forces on a system. The first example explains how the Earth's rotation around the Sun is affected by two gravitational forces, which create a zero torque. The second example discusses how two forces acting on different objects can cancel each other out and create no torque on the system. The question posed is why this is the case in the second example but not in the first.
pdpax
Hi, I had a question about Torque, Internal forces & external forces.
Here are 2 examples helping me to state my question:

1) The Earth is rounding the sun with respect to the Sun.
The forces which are acting on the system are 2 gravitational forces that are action & re-action.
The Force vector & the Position vector will be in opposite direction; so their cross product is Zero & then the Torque will be zero.

2) In a system of particles, two objects are attracting each other with respect to a point (Q), which is located outside of the system.
With respect to (Q), We say these two forces cancel each other out & there will be no Torque on the system in view of (Q).

Why in case 2, we say these forces cancel each other; but in the first case, we don't consider the re-action of Sun's gravitational force?

Thanks for your helps...

Physics news on Phys.org
pdpax said:
2) In a system of particles, two objects are attracting each other with respect to a point (Q), which is located outside of the system.
With respect to (Q), We say these two forces cancel each other out & there will be no Torque on the system in view of (Q).

I don't think I follow. These two forces can't "cancel each other out", because they act on two different objects, both of which actually DO accelerate under the influence of said forces. Furthermore, for each object, if there is a non-zero component of the force on that object that acts perpendicular to the line-of-sight between the object and point Q, then that force will provide a net torque on that object around the point Q.

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point of application of the force.

2. How do internal forces differ from external forces?

Internal forces are forces that act within an object, such as the tension in a rope or the compression in a spring. On the other hand, external forces act on an object from outside, such as the force of gravity or the force of a person pushing on an object.

3. What is the relationship between torque and angular acceleration?

The relationship between torque and angular acceleration is described by Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net torque applied to an object is equal to the moment of inertia of the object multiplied by its angular acceleration. This relationship is often summarized as τ = Iα, where τ is the torque, I is the moment of inertia, and α is the angular acceleration.

4. How can torque be increased?

Torque can be increased by either increasing the force applied to an object or by increasing the distance from the axis of rotation to the point of application of the force. This is why longer wrenches or levers are often used to increase torque when turning a bolt or lifting a heavy object.

5. What role does torque play in rotational equilibrium?

For an object to be in rotational equilibrium, the sum of all external torques acting on the object must be equal to zero. This means that the object will not rotate unless an external torque is applied. Torque is also necessary for an object to continue to rotate at a constant speed, as any change in torque will result in a change in angular acceleration.