Torque On a Clock Hanging from a Nail

It is not really suitable for typed solutions as the text is not searchable.In summary, the problem involves finding the normal force exerted by a wall on a square clock hung on a nail, given the clock's dimensions and center of mass. Using torque calculations and trigonometry, the normal force can be expressed as (mg/2)[1 - (d/√(l^2 - d^2)) * (w/l + 2)]. However, there may be errors in this equation and further calculations may be needed to obtain the correct answer.
tul725

Homework Statement

A square clock of inertia m is hung on a nail driven into a wall (Figure 1) . The length of each side of the square is ℓ, the thickness is w, and the top back edge of the clock is a distance d from the wall. Assume that the wall is smooth and that the center of mass of the clock is at the geometric center.
Obtain an expression for the magnitude of the normal force exerted by the wall on the clock. Use the notation l for the length ℓ.
Express your answer in terms of the variables m, l, w, d, and acceleration due to gravity g.
cMAi1
https://imgur.com/a/EMf0x
gL02DF9

Homework Equations

Torque = r*FGravity - Fwall⊥r = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I divided the rectangle into 2, lengthwise, and into 2 width-wise. The point at where these lines meet is the center of mass of the clock. I set the point of the nail and the corner of the rectangle as the axis of rotation. I tried to find the lever arm distance of the gravitational force acting on the center of mass of the clock by using trigonometry to find angles. For the normal force of the wall I decided to find the tangential component of the normal force since I already had the lever arm distance in terms of l. I figured since the clock is at rest then the sum of Torque would be equal to zero. The final answer I get is:
cMAi1

https://imgur.com/FGhGKmB
This is not the right answer, and I can't really find where I went wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
The method is fine, but hard to say where you are going wrong without seeing your working.
I have not tried to unravel all your trig functions. I get ##\frac{mg}2(1-\frac d{\sqrt{l^2-d^2}}(\frac wl +2))##. Try to see if that matches.

Last edited:
just noticed a couple of problems with your answer. The overall expression has the wrong dimension. Looks like you forgot a divisor l.
And the denominator appears to be an angle.

Last edited:
haruspex said:
just noticed a couple of problems with your answer. The overall expression has the wrong dimension. Looks like you forgot a divisor l.
And the denominator appears to be an angle.
Thanks for the response. You are right, I changed the bottom to L * cos(sin^-1 (d/l)). I still don't get a right answer though. I tried your equation and it didn't seem to be correct either. If I have time later tonight, I'll try clearly writing out my work and taking a picture.

tul725 said:
Thanks for the response. You are right, I changed the bottom to L * cos(sin^-1 (d/l)). I still don't get a right answer though. I tried your equation and it didn't seem to be correct either. If I have time later tonight, I'll try clearly writing out my work and taking a picture.
Did you try to determIne whether my equation is the same as your corrected one? I see that they agree on the condition for the force being zero.
A typed in version of your algebra would be preferable. The upload image feature is really for diagrams amd textbook extracts.

1. How does the torque on a clock hanging from a nail affect its movement?

The torque on a clock hanging from a nail determines how much rotation or twisting force is applied to the clock. If there is a greater torque, the clock will rotate more quickly or with more force.

2. What factors influence the torque on a clock hanging from a nail?

The torque on a clock hanging from a nail is influenced by the weight of the clock, the distance between the nail and the center of mass of the clock, and the force of gravity.

3. How can I calculate the torque on a clock hanging from a nail?

The torque on a clock hanging from a nail can be calculated by multiplying the distance from the nail to the center of mass of the clock by the weight of the clock. The formula is: T = r x F, where T is torque, r is the distance, and F is the force.

4. Can the torque on a clock hanging from a nail be changed?

Yes, the torque on a clock hanging from a nail can be changed by altering the distance between the nail and the center of mass of the clock, or by changing the weight of the clock. This can be done by adding or removing weight from the clock or by adjusting the position of the nail.

5. How does the torque on a clock hanging from a nail affect the accuracy of the timekeeping?

The torque on a clock hanging from a nail can affect the accuracy of the timekeeping if it is not balanced properly. If the torque is too high, the clock may rotate too quickly and cause the timekeeping mechanism to wear out faster. If the torque is too low, the clock may not have enough energy to keep accurate time. It is important to find the right balance to ensure accurate timekeeping.