1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torque on a point on a sphere in a fluid/finding pressure?

1. Jul 7, 2013 #1
    If there is a rotating sphere (falling through a fluid) a) is the torque the same at every point on the sphere's surface, and b) how would I use said torque to work out the pressure exerted by opposite 'sides' of the sphere on the fluid?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

What equations do you have for drag?

4. Jul 8, 2013 #3
    drag = 1/2 ρf v^2 Cd A

where pf is the fluid density, v is the velocity of the sphere, Cd is the drag coefficient for the sphere (0.1 for smooth, 0.6 for rough) and A is the reference (cross-sectional) area

5. Jul 8, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I forgot to ask what the relationship is between the axis of rotation and the vertical (the direction of travel). Are they the same or orthogonal? If orthogonal, think about the v term of the drag for different points on the surface.
    I assume what this is leading to is an explanation of the Magnus effect. Intuitively, I think I see how the difference in shear forces leads to the required pressure difference, but I'm not an expert in this area.

6. Jul 17, 2013 #5
    They're the same.

7. Jul 17, 2013 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

In that case, the torque at a point on the surface will clearly depend on its latitude, and you could write the equation down fairly easily. But I've no idea how this connects with pressure.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted