1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torque Req. for Fixed Rot. Acc.

1. Jun 26, 2006 #1
    I'm having difficulty with this question:

A day-care worker pushes tangentially on a small hand-driven merry-go-round and is able to accelerate it from rest to a spinning rate of 18.0 rpm in 10.1s. Assume the merry-go-round is a disk of radius 2.30m and has a mass of 830kg, and two children (each with a mass of 25.4kg) sit opposite each other on the edge. Calculate the torque required to produce the acceleration, neglecting frictional torque.

Alright, this is my process; although, I know my end result is wrong:

I used the angular kinematic equation to solve for the angular acceleration.

f = ωi + αΔt)

I got α = 0.186629 rad/s² (approx.) after converting from rpm's.

The equation I have for torque is:

τ = mr²α

But, since we're working with a disk, I = ½MR².

Therefore, I solved for torque using the equation:

τ = ½MR²α

I'm moderately confident with myself at this point, although I realize I can be completely off, but I think I'm screwing up what to use for mass.

I plugged in the mass of the merry-go-round plus the mass of the two children.

M = 880.8 kg

Most likely, this is where my reasoning is flawed. I've just recently been introduced to torque, and it is honestly confusing me.

Anyway. The answer I got:

τ = ½MR²α = τ = ½(880.8 kg)(2.3)²(0.186629 rad/s²) =

434.79 N*m

This is the wrong answer, I know. But it is the best I could come up with based on the information my textbook is giving me. Any advice would be helpful.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2006 #2

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For a point mass, I is MR^2 (where R is the distance from the point mass to the axis of rotation). For a disk, the moment of inertia is 1/2 MR^2. What you have to do here is to calculate the total moment of inertia, with is [itex] I_{total}=I_{child#1} + I_{child#2} + I_{disk} [/itex]

Use this for the total moment of inertia. barring any algebra mistake, this should work.

Patrick

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?