1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torque required to rotate a circular sector inside a drum

1. Mar 1, 2013 #1
    What I have ?
    • Have a 16’ x 72’ rotating drum
    • There is a solid circular sector inside the drum

What I need ?
    Want to Calculate the torque required to move that solid circular sector from the intial position to the position shown in attached picture (90 Degrees rotation)

Data :
    • RPM = 10
    • time = 15 seconds

What I have caluted ?
    • Calculated the torque required to rotate the drum using Torque = Moment of Inertia X Alpha where Alpha = angular acceleration

How do I proceed ?
    1. Do I have to calculate the moment of inertia of that solid circular sector and then use the same formula?
    2. But here its not a complete rotation. Its just 90 degrees. So how to arrive at torque to move a mass about an axis only to a certain degree?
    3. Or, Should it be just Torque = Force * Radius ? where force shall be its mass * acceleration due to gravity and radius shall be distance from the drum's rotation axis to the circular sector's center of gravity ?
    4. Does Perpendicular axes theorem or Parallel Axes theorem come into the picture ?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2013 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

You will need to get the total moment of inertia of the drum + circular section. For that you may need the parallel axis theorem.

As for the rotation of the 90 degrees. What is the definition of angular acceleration?

4. Mar 4, 2013 #3
    I am afraid , I didn't understand. My approach was to find the Inertia of both separately and then arrive at their individual torques. Did you mean the same ? Do we need a parallel axis theorem in that ? If yes, could you explain a little more elaborately ?

Angle was taken to be ∏/2.
    Therefore, Angular Velocity = (∏/2)*rpm/60 = (∏/2)*10/60=.26 s^(-1)
    and Angular acceleration = .26/time = .26/15 =0.0174 s^(-2)

Thanks for your help !

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook