Torque Rquired for stages of motion

In summary: SheldonIn summary, the fuel storage yard is separated from the main plate by a swingbridge (swinging in a horizontal plane). The motor driving the briudge has to swing through an angle of 90degrees in 120seconds. The bridge accelerates uniformly for 40s then moves at a constant velocity, decelerating uniformly to rest in the final 20 s. The rotaing components of the bride have an equivalent moment of inertia of 400kgm² and feels a constand resisting torque of 3kN,.
Bikerz
The fuel storage yard is separated from the main plate by a swingbridge (swinging in a horizontal plane). The motor driving the briudge has to swing through an angle of 90degrees in 120seconds. The bridge accelerates uniformly for 40s then moves at a constant velocity, decelerating uniformly to rest in the final 20 s. The rotaing components of the bride have an equivalent moment of inertia of 400kgm² and feels a constand resisting torque of 3kN,. Find Torque of 3 stages of montion?

How do I go about this?
Which equations should I be using?

Torque = Inertia x Angular acceleration
Angular Velocity = Angle/dt (Time I presume)

I have done

sa=((V+0)/2)40=20V
sb=((V+V)/2)60=60V
sc=((0+V)/2)20=10V

I could then do

W=dØ/dt
Then times by Inertia (400)

I get

a-200N
b-400N
c=200N

This seems too easy and whast the resisting torque value for? Do I just add this to part a, ignor for part b and take off for part c?

Tho I'd get a negitive vale for c then?

Cheers

Sheldon

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use the fundamental kinematics equations to develop an expression for the total rotation angle of the swing bridge, then solve for alpha1, the angular acceleration during stage 1. Once you obtain alpha1 and alpha3, you can compute the applied torque of the three stages. Are you sure your mass moment of inertia and resisting torque given above are correct? After all, 3 kN is not a torque, so what you typed doesn't make sense yet. Try it again. Post a valid attempt to get help.

3kNm. Sorry.

Sent what I did to my lecture and he said it was right and he oppoligsed for teh strange number sin teh question that made me have answers that I thourght must be wrong.

All sorted

Cheers

Last edited:

Related to Torque Rquired for stages of motion

1. What is torque and how is it related to motion?

Torque is the measure of the force that can cause an object to rotate around an axis. It is directly related to an object's motion because it is responsible for producing rotational acceleration.

2. How does the torque required for different stages of motion vary?

The torque required for different stages of motion depends on the type of motion and the characteristics of the object. For example, the torque required to start an object's motion (static torque) is usually higher than the torque required to maintain its motion (dynamic torque).

3. What factors affect the torque required for stages of motion?

The main factors that affect the torque required for stages of motion are the mass, shape, and distribution of mass of the object, as well as the type of motion and any external forces acting on the object.

4. How can we calculate the torque required for different stages of motion?

The torque required for different stages of motion can be calculated using the formula Torque = force x distance, where force is the force applied and distance is the perpendicular distance between the applied force and the axis of rotation. Different stages of motion may require different calculations depending on the type of motion and any external forces present.

5. How can we adjust the torque required for different stages of motion?

To adjust the torque required for different stages of motion, we can change the force applied or the distance between the applied force and the axis of rotation. This can be achieved by changing the characteristics of the object, such as its mass or shape, or by applying external forces to the object in a specific way.