Torques on a Rod - Need Quick Help

• Thread starter physicsguy101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rod Torques
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of the vertical and horizontal components of force summing to zero, but the moments may still be non-zero. The participants also consider the translational equilibrium of the rod and the torque applied by the vertical component of F(3). In the end, the conversation ends with gratitude for the help provided.
physicsguy101
2labtqs.png

If anyone can give me some quick help on this, I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
physicsguy101 said:
2labtqs.png
If anyone can give me some quick help on this, I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

I can't quite tell, but it looks like it's possible that the vertical and horizontal components of force could each sum to zero. But what about the moments? Try computing the sum of the moments about the center of the rod. Is it zero?

BBB

Well, looking at the horizontal axis only we can assume from the picture that the rod is in translational equilibrium (it doesn't move) along the horizontal axis. But looking in the vertical axis, we see a greater force downwards than the vertical component of F(3), so the rod is actually moving downwards (it's not in vertical translational equilibrium). Even if we assume that the rod is in translational equilibrium both in horizontal and vertical axes due to diagram error, if you call your pivot point the point where F(2) is acting upon, the only torque applied is a counterclockwise torque by the vertical component of F(3), which is perpendicular to a radius extending from the rod = actual torque.

I hope that helps!

Thanks guys! I appreciate the help!

Sure, I would be happy to help you with torques on a rod. Can you provide more specific details or a specific question? Understanding the concept of torque can be challenging, so it would be helpful to know what specifically you are struggling with. Additionally, are you working on a specific problem or just looking for a general explanation? Let me know and I will do my best to assist you.

1. What is a torque?

A torque is a force that causes an object to rotate around an axis or pivot point. It is a measure of the tendency of a force to cause rotation.

2. How is torque calculated?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the pivot point to the point where the force is applied. The unit of torque is newton-meters (Nm) in the metric system and foot-pounds (ft-lb) in the imperial system.

3. What is a rod?

A rod is a long, thin, cylindrical object that is typically made of metal or another strong material. It is often used as a structural component or for transmitting force.

4. How do torques affect a rod?

Torques can cause a rod to rotate or bend, depending on the direction and magnitude of the force applied. If the torque is too great, it can cause the rod to break or fail.

5. How can I calculate the torque on a rod?

To calculate the torque on a rod, you will need to know the force applied, the distance from the pivot point to the point where the force is applied, and the angle between the force and the rod. You can then use the equation T = F x d x sinθ, where T is torque, F is force, d is distance, and θ is the angle.