1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torsion in statically indetermined beam

1. Jan 10, 2010 #1
    the beam below is subjected to a single torque of Mt=10KNm at its centre, G=80GPa

find the distribution of the torque between the 2 components of the central cross section

Capture.JPG

what i have done in similar questions (where i have had one free end) i have chosen T1 and T2 - the relative torque in each of the components and solved using dϕ/dx,- using the fact that the angle of twist from x=1m to x=0.8m must be the same for both components i could solve for T1 and T2 because in all the cases i have solved i knoew that T1+T2=Mt,
    in this question i am not sure this is the case since Mt is not the internal Torque in this cross section,

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2010 #2
    Have you considered the reactions, and the observation that the problem has symmetry?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook