1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Total charge from charge density (spherical coordinates)

1. Sep 17, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In some region of space, the electric field is [itex] \vec{E} =k r^2 \hat{r} [/itex], in spherical coordinates, where k is a constant.
    (a) Use Gauss' law (differential form) to find the charge density [itex] \rho (\vec{r}) [/itex].

(b) Use Gauss' law (integral form) to find the total charge containted in a sphere of radius R, centered at r=0

(c) Find the total charge contained in a sphere of radius R, centered at r=0 by direct integration of your result for [itex] \rho (\vec{r}) [/itex] in (a). Does the answer agree with that in (b)?

3. The attempt at a solution
    NOTE: IM USING [itex] \Delta [/itex] as the del operator

Im pretty sure my problems only arise on part (c), but if any error is noticed in the other parts please tell me. Thank you

(a)using [tex] \vec{ \Delta} \bullet \vec{E} = \frac{\rho}{\epsilon_0} [/tex]
    rearranging it to solve for [itex] \rho [/itex] i get [tex] \rho = \epsilon( \vec{\Delta} \bullet \vec{E}) [/tex] where [tex] \epsilon( \vec{\Delta} \bullet \vec{E}) = \frac{\epsilon_0}{r^2} \frac{d(r^2 k r^2)}{dr}[/tex] which reduces to [tex] \frac{r}{\pi} [/tex]

(b) using [tex] \oint \Delta \bullet d\vec{a} = \frac{Q_e}{\epsilon_0} [/tex] and rearranging to solve for Q_e i get [tex] Q_e=\epsilon_0 \oint \vec{E} \bullet d\vec{a} [/tex], which since the sphere is symmetric about the origin i can do [tex] \epsilon_0 \oint |\vec{E}| d\vec{a} [/tex], which equals [tex] \epsilon_0 k r^2 4\pi R^2 [/tex] which reduces to [tex] R^4 [/tex] (note: i replaced [itex] r^2 [/itex] with [itex] R^2 [/itex])

(c) knowing [itex] \rho = \frac{dq}{dV} [/itex] and reorganizing to solve for dq i get [itex] \int dq = \int \rho(\vec{r}) dV [/itex] at this point im a little confused on how to take the integral with respect to dV in spherical coordinates. Im pretty sure i have to add an [itex] r^2 [/itex] in the integrand but im not sure.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2013 #2
    [itex] dV = r^2 \sin(\theta) dr d\theta d\phi[/itex]

4. Sep 17, 2013 #3

phyzguy

Science Advisor

Don't! To most people,
    [tex]\Delta = \nabla^2[/tex]

Since you're using tex, just use \nabla for the del operator.

5. Sep 17, 2013 #4
    lol ok, i didnt know that

test [itex] \nabla [/itex]

6. Sep 17, 2013 #5
    alright so since non of these variables have any unit vector other than [itex] \hat{r} [/itex] the [itex] r^2 sin\theta =0 [/itex] ?? at which point the integral will be [tex] \oint \frac{r}{\pi} dr [/tex]
    which is [tex] \frac{r^2}{2\pi} [/tex] which doesn't match part (b), and therefore i am incorrect somewhere.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted