Total energy produced by sound source

In summary: A + B = 0.In summary, the speaker has measurements of sound intensity around a sound source on a spherical grid and is trying to estimate the total energy dissipated by the source. They have converted DB values into intensity values and multiplied them by the covered area and duration to get an absolute intensity value. They are unsure if this method is correct and if there is a simpler way to calculate the energy. They mention a website that calculates sound intensity but does not account for non-uniform distribution. They also mention a website that discusses the angular distribution of sound sources.
dvderels
Hello,

I have measurements of the sound intensity produced by a sound source for a given frequency (*). These measurements were taken on on a grid on an imaginary sphere around the source. From these measurements it is clear that the sound intensity is not equal in all directions.

The measurements are calibrated in [tex]DB_{SPL}[/tex].

The problem: how can I get an estimate of the total energy dissipated by the source?

What I did so far is:
-for each point I calculate the area of the sphere that is covered by the point.
-I convert the DB values into intensity values: [tex]I = 10^{DB/10}[/tex].
-multiplying the Intensities in each point with the area of covered by the point
-summing all these numbers.
-to get an absolute intensity value, I multiply this number with 10^-12 (the sound pressure level base for calculating Db values).
-This number should give the number of WATTS. This should be multiplied with the duration the sound source is on.

The questions:
-So, is this correct?
-Is there a quick way to calculate the energy dissipated for example using a simple model for a source?

Regards,
Dieter

(*) The source produces more than 1 frequency of course. But let's start off easy.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bob S said:
Go to http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-soundlevel.htm

This is an online calculator relating sound SPL's, Pascals (Newtons per square meter), and watts per square meter.

Thank you for the reply, but I knew about this site.

The problem is that it just gives a way to calculate Intensity ( = W/M² or J/M²S) from Decibel. It does not give a way to calculate Energy (W*Time) for non-uniform distribution of W in space.

So, that does not help me very much to solve my particular problem. But I agree that www.sengpielaudio.com is a top site.

1. What is total energy produced by a sound source?

The total energy produced by a sound source is the sum of all the energy emitted by the source over a period of time. It is typically measured in joules (J) or watts (W).

2. How is the total energy of a sound source calculated?

The total energy of a sound source can be calculated by multiplying the intensity of the sound (measured in watts per square meter) by the area over which the sound is spread (measured in square meters) and the duration of the sound (measured in seconds).

3. What factors affect the total energy produced by a sound source?

The total energy produced by a sound source can be affected by factors such as the amplitude (loudness) of the sound, the frequency (pitch) of the sound, and the duration of the sound.

4. Can the total energy produced by a sound source be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, the total energy produced by a sound source can be converted into other forms of energy, such as electrical energy through a microphone or mechanical energy through a speaker.

5. How does the total energy produced by a sound source relate to its perceived loudness?

The total energy produced by a sound source is directly related to its perceived loudness. As the total energy increases, the sound will be perceived as louder, and as it decreases, the sound will be perceived as softer.