Total momentum of a rotating object

In summary: Yes, it is possible to translate rotational movement to unidirectional and vice versa. However, their total linear momentum and total angular momentum will be the same.
Tominator
Hi
I am a bit puzzled by a specific type of collisions and distribution of momentum. Well, I know that the change in momentum of two coliding objects is equal and opposite. But I am not certain how is it in a case of collision of a directly moving object and a rotating one. Is the sum of a liner momentum and angular momentum, total momentum of a rotating object?
Thanks for answers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Linear and angular momentum are separately conserved. So the change in linear momentum of the colliding objects is equal and opposite, and so is the change in their angular momentum.

Doc Al said:
Linear and angular momentum are separately conserved. So the change in linear momentum of the colliding objects is equal and opposite, and so is the change in their angular momentum.

Well, but there are colisions, where the rotating object almost stops rotating thanks to colision wih another. So how is rotational movement translated to unidirectional in such a case?

Tominator said:
Well, but there are colisions, where the rotating object almost stops rotating thanks to colision wih another. So how is rotational movement translated to unidirectional in such a case?
What's conserved is total angular momentum, not just angular momentum about a body's center of mass. A body in pure translation will still have angular momentum about some point.

Doc Al said:
What's conserved is total angular momentum, not just angular momentum about a body's center of mass. A body in pure translation will still have angular momentum about some point.

I must admitt I do not understand this very well. Are you saying that it is not possible to translate rotational movement to unidirectional and vice versa? Because for example if two balls rotating clockwise crash, their rotation can cause them to move even quicker than before the crash. In an empty space, their rotation would be slower and their unidirectional movement would be quicker. I do not understand what you mean by total angular momentum, can you explain that please?

Tominator said:
Are you saying that it is not possible to translate rotational movement to unidirectional and vice versa? Because for example if two balls rotating clockwise crash, their rotation can cause them to move even quicker than before the crash. In an empty space, their rotation would be slower and their unidirectional movement would be quicker.
However they move after the collision, their total linear momentum and total angular momentum will be the same.
I do not understand what you mean by total angular momentum, can you explain that please?
Sure. Total angular momentum = Angular momentum due to rotation about the center of mass + angular momentum due to the translation of the center of mass.

That second part may be new to you. Here's an example. Say a particle is moving with speed v in the +x direction at some distance d from the x-axis. What is its angular momentum about the origin? L = r X mv, so its angular momentum = mvd.

If this "particle" were really an object rotating about its center of mass, then you'd have to add the angular momentum due to that rotation to get the total.

Thanks for answers

What is total momentum of a rotating object?

Total momentum of a rotating object is the measure of the motion of an object as it rotates. It takes into account both the linear and angular momentum of the object.

How is total momentum of a rotating object calculated?

The total momentum of a rotating object can be calculated by multiplying its mass by its linear velocity and adding the product to its moment of inertia multiplied by its angular velocity.

What is the difference between linear and angular momentum?

Linear momentum is the measure of an object's motion in a straight line, while angular momentum is the measure of an object's rotational motion around an axis.

Why is total momentum of a rotating object important?

Total momentum of a rotating object is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of rotating objects, such as spinning tops, planets, and galaxies.

How does the conservation of momentum apply to rotating objects?

The law of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. This applies to rotating objects as well, meaning that the total momentum of a rotating object will remain the same unless acted upon by an external force.