Tough decision to be made guys

• Thread starter P@ul
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Decision
In summary, a student attending a university without an engineering program planned to get a dual degree in chemistry and chemical engineering through a partnership with a neighboring engineering university. However, they have been informed that it will take an additional three years to complete due to a prerequisite math class. The student is considering three options: sticking with the three by two plan, completing a biochemistry degree and pursuing a masters, or joining the military. A professional advises the student to stick with the original plan and get their chemical engineering degree for better job prospects in the future.
P@ul
Dear chemistry and engineering peers,

I attend a ____________ university and am enrolled in what I thought was a three by two degree plan with a neighboring engineering university(my school doesn't have engineering). I'm a chemistry major that plans on getting a dual degree in both chemistry and chemical engineering. Well this is my last semester at blanc university and I've been informed by the engineering school that it'll take me another three years to finish because of some Bull*Y*( math model 1 hour credit class that's a prereq.

Options
1) Follow through with the three by "three" and just suck it up. Possibly coop for a semester.

2)Stay at my school and get my remaining 29 hours in my biochemistry curricula and go to get a masters in grad school. From what I've seen it'll take two years.

3)join the military full time lol

What do the professionals think? I'm just worried about my future. I'm not a genius by any means(3.3 GPA).

Physics news on Phys.org
My $0.02:

These days, a chemistry degree is a tough sell in the job market. I'm not sure about biochemistry but it's nowhere near as marketable as a chemical engineering. I advise you to stick it out, go with the "3 X 3", get your ChemE degree and get it behind you.

1. What is the toughest decision you have had to make as a scientist?

The toughest decision I have had to make as a scientist was choosing between two promising research projects. Both had the potential to lead to significant breakthroughs, but I had limited time and resources to dedicate to one. In the end, I had to carefully weigh the potential impact and feasibility of each project before making a decision.

2. How do you make tough decisions in your field of research?

Making tough decisions in research requires a combination of critical thinking, data analysis, and communication with colleagues. I also rely on my knowledge and experience in the field to guide my decisions. It's important to carefully evaluate all available information and consider potential outcomes before making a decision.

3. What challenges do scientists face when making tough decisions?

One of the biggest challenges in making tough decisions as a scientist is the pressure to produce results and make progress in a timely manner. There is also the risk of failure and the potential impact on funding and reputation. Additionally, ethical considerations must also be taken into account when making decisions that could have potential consequences.

4. How do you handle the pressure of making tough decisions in your work?

To handle the pressure of making tough decisions in my work, I rely on a strong support system of colleagues and mentors. I also prioritize self-care and take breaks when needed to avoid burnout. It's important to have a clear understanding of my goals and priorities in order to make decisions that align with them.

5. Can you provide an example of a tough decision you made that had a significant impact on your research?

One tough decision I made was choosing to pursue a different line of research after spending several years working on a project that did not yield the desired results. It was a difficult decision because I had invested a lot of time and resources into the project, but ultimately, it led me to new and more promising research opportunities. This decision had a significant impact on my research by allowing me to make progress and contribute to the scientific community in a meaningful way.