1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trace of elements in a finite complex matrix group is bounded

1. Dec 12, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let [itex]G[/itex] be a finite complex matrix group: [itex]G \subset M_{n\times n}[/itex]. Show that, for [itex]g \in G, |\text{tr}(g)| \le n[/itex] and [itex]|\text{tr}(g)| = n[/itex] only for [itex]g = e^{i\theta}I[/itex].

2. The attempt at a solution

Since [itex]G[/itex] is finite, then every element [itex]g \in G[/itex] has a finite order: [itex]g^r = I[/itex] for some whole number [itex]r[/itex]. By the formula for traces, [itex]\text{tr}(g) = \displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^n \lambda_i[/itex] and [itex]\text{tr}(g^r) = \displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^n \lambda_i^r = n[/itex] where [itex]\lambda_i[/itex] are eigenvalues of [itex]g[/itex]. So how do I show that [itex]|\displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^n \lambda_i| \le \displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^n \lambda_i^r[/itex] for complex [itex]\lambda_i[/itex] ?

The problem comes from Exercise A2.11 on page 612 of Nielsen and Chuang's Quantum Computation and Quantum Information 10th Anniversary Edition. The textbook can easily be found, for example, here www.johnboccio.com/research/quantum/notes/QC10th.pdf [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2013 #2
    Suppose ##\lambda_1 = \lambda_2 = 1/2##. Then it is not true that |1/2 + 1/2| < |1/4 + 1/4|. So in general that inequality just isn't true.

There must be something about G being finite that rules out the above case.

4. Dec 13, 2013 #3

pasmith

Homework Helper

If you can show that [itex]g \in G \subset GL(\mathbb{C},n)[/itex] is diagonalizable, then the fact that [itex]g^r = I[/itex] requires that the eigenvalues of [itex]g[/itex] lie on the unit circle. You then have [tex]
    \left| \sum_{i = 1}^n \lambda_i \right| \leq \sum_{i= 1}^n |\lambda_i| = \sum_{i = 1}^n 1 = n
    [/tex]
    where the first inequality is a basic result.

To show that [itex]g[/itex] is diagonalizable, consider the Jordan normal form of [itex]g[/itex]. Why does the requirement that [itex]g[/itex] have finite order mean that its normal form cannot contain non-diagonal Jordan blocks?

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted