Trace the path of the light ray and find angle of refraction

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 5K views
Kris1120
Messages
42
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A ray of light strikes the midpoint of one
face of an equiangular (60◦, 60◦, 60◦) glass
prism (n = 1.3) at an angle of incidence of
33◦.
a.Trace the path of the light ray through the
glass, and find the angle of refraction at the
first surface.
b.Find the angle of incidence at the second
surface.
Answer in units of ◦
c.Find the angle of refraction at the second
surface.
Answer in units of ◦.

Homework Equations



n1sin(theta1) = n2sin(theta2)

The Attempt at a Solution



So I have part a correct which is 24.7685 degrees. I used the equation to solve for theta2. However I cannot get b because my reasoning is that the angle of refraction in part a is the angle of incidence in part b and this is obviously not right. I do not know where to go from here.
 
Physics news on Phys.org


Maybe draw a diagram and remember the second surface is at a 60° angle to the first.