Tracer concentration + effective residence time for a basin

In summary, the sensor detected a gradual increase in concentration followed by a decrease, but the calculated flowrate did not match the actual measured flowrate.
maistral
I'm very sorry for the lengthy post. I'm actually not sure as to how to deal with this as this is the first time I've been assigned to these kinds of problems; I need to be sure. Thanks in advance.

So I have this large basin-like structure whose water naturally has K+ ions dissolved in it; let's call this constant A. This basin only has one stream as the feedstream and another one for the effluent. I wanted to measure the effective residence time for this "basin" which I think I can deal with alone.

So I intended to use something like potassium carbonate or potassium chloride to measure the effective residence time. I injected around 0.005 kilomoles of potassium carbonate (so that's around 0.01 kilomoles of K+ ions). My problems began from here actually.
  1. My sensor detects K+ ions. Obviously, it would detect a gradual increase, then a decrease (typical reactor RTD). What I initially thought is that if I subtract the number of K+ ions initially from the dataset of K+ ions I have generated from the effluent's sensor (basically subtracting the constant A from the entire dataset), and I would add all these values, I should be getting the total 0.01 kilomoles of K+ ions detected by the tracer. This did not happen (I mean, I did not get all of the 0.01 kmols of K+ ions). Where could have they run off to? After subtracting initial K+ ion concentration A from the dataset and adding all of the values I ended up detecting around 0.0003 kmols of K+ ions only.
  2. (Connected to #1) For curiosity's sake I wanted to take the recovery of potassium carbonate. Is it still 0.0003/0.01 * 100 = 3%? Is this even realistic? Or am I doing something wrong; and there is a different formula for this?
Thanks for reading this lengthy post. I hope someone can answer as I'm at a total loss.

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you rewrite the problem in terms of concentrations, apply a step function perturbation of the concentration, watch the relaxation rate, ... hmmm?

Let’s see a graph of your conc vs time. Are you sure you are using the correct flow rate in and out? Does the outflow match the inflow?

Ah, I figured out that I have to integrate the concentration vs. time then multiply it to the measured flowrate. I'll have to integrate the flowrate vs time as well to get the mean flow rate.

I resolved the issue. Thanks!

What is tracer concentration?

Tracer concentration refers to the amount of a substance that is being measured or studied in a particular system, such as a body of water. It is typically expressed as a ratio or percentage of the total amount of the substance present.

What is effective residence time for a basin?

Effective residence time for a basin is a measure of how long a substance or tracer stays within a particular basin or system. It takes into account factors such as inflow, outflow, and mixing within the basin to determine the average amount of time a substance spends in the system before leaving.

How is tracer concentration measured?

Tracer concentration can be measured using various methods, such as taking water samples and analyzing them in a laboratory for the presence and amount of the tracer. It can also be measured in real-time using sensors or other monitoring equipment.

What factors affect tracer concentration and effective residence time for a basin?

There are several factors that can affect tracer concentration and effective residence time for a basin, including the size and shape of the basin, the flow rate of water in and out of the basin, and the type of tracer being used. Environmental conditions, such as temperature and wind, can also impact these measurements.

Why is studying tracer concentration and effective residence time important?

Studying tracer concentration and effective residence time for a basin is important for understanding the movement and behavior of substances within a system. This information can be used to track pollutants, study water flow patterns, and inform management and conservation efforts for the basin.