Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tracing back an electromagnetic wave to its source

1. Nov 9, 2015 #1
    Suppose you have a solution to the Maxwell's equations in vacuum, and now you want to find what kind of charge/current system create the wave in the first place, can this be done?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2015 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You have not given sufficient information. All you've given is that the medium is a vacuum. You have not described the boundary conditions, and the relative size of the EM wavelengths to any confined space (i.e. if this is in a waveguide).

Zz.

4. Nov 9, 2015 #3
    I only have a vector function E and a vector function B that satisfy all the source-free Maxwell's equations.

5. Nov 9, 2015 #4
    And if that is not enough, then how much more information is required?

6. Nov 9, 2015 #5

Dale

Staff: Mentor

If it is source-free/vacuum then by definition there are no charges or currents.

7. Nov 9, 2015 #6

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I've just told you! The nature of the boundary conditions! Are these E and B fields solved in a waveguide? In free space? And if there is a boundary, what kind of a boundary is it?

For example, if you are given a standing wave in a waveguide, then I don't see how you can have the ability to trace where the "source" is.

Zz.

8. Nov 10, 2015 #7

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you know the fields everywhere on a closed surface that surrounds the source, then you can solve for an equivalent multipole source that produces the same fields as the real source.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook