Trajectory of a horizontally fired projectile

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of drawing the path of a horizontally fired projectile using a graph. The equations used are shown, with a discussion on whether or not a negative sign should be included in the constant. The equation y = y_o + V_oy(t) + 1/2at^2 is mentioned, with a reminder to include the initial position of the projectile, y_o. The importance of the signage of y is also mentioned.
szimmy

Homework Statement

For a lab that we did I need to draw the path of a horizontally fired projectile using a graph. When I look at the equation I derived it doesn't look like it will draw the path correctly.

The Attempt at a Solution

Δx = Vox*t
T = Δx / Vox
-h = Voy*t + .5*a*t2
-h = Voy*(Δx / Vox) + .5*a* (Δx / Vox)2
-h = 0 * (Δx / Vox) + .5*-g*(Δx2 / Vox2)
-h = -g/2 * (Δx2 / Vox2)
h = (g*Δx2)/ (2*Vox2)
h = (g)/ (2*Vox2) * Δx2
y = (g)/ (2*Vox2) * x2
y = c*x2
c = (g)/ (2*Vox2)

h being the height the projectile was fired from above the ground. This looks almost right, but shouldn't I have a negative somewhere in my constant? The shape it should draw is the right half of an upside down parabola, should I not have used -h even though the projectile is moving under the starting point? Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm a bit puzzled at this point.

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation is y = y_o + V_oy(t) + 1/2at^2. Where y_o is the initial position of the projectile , h, at time t = 0 and position x = 0. You forgot the y_o term , and then you threw in an extra minus sign in front of the y. The portion on the right side of the equation determines the signage of y. y and h are not the same.

1. What is the trajectory of a horizontally fired projectile?

The trajectory of a horizontally fired projectile is the curved path that the projectile takes as it moves through the air under the influence of gravity.

2. How does the angle of launch affect the trajectory of a horizontally fired projectile?

The angle of launch affects the trajectory of a horizontally fired projectile because it determines the initial velocity and direction of the projectile. A higher angle of launch will result in a longer flight time and a longer horizontal distance traveled, while a lower angle of launch will result in a shorter flight time and a shorter horizontal distance traveled.

3. What factors influence the trajectory of a horizontally fired projectile?

The trajectory of a horizontally fired projectile is influenced by several factors, including the initial velocity, the angle of launch, the aerodynamic properties of the projectile, and the effects of air resistance. The mass and shape of the projectile also play a role in its trajectory.

4. How does air resistance affect the trajectory of a horizontally fired projectile?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can significantly affect the trajectory of a horizontally fired projectile. As the projectile moves through the air, it experiences a force in the opposite direction of its motion, which causes it to slow down and deviate from its original path. This effect is more pronounced for projectiles with larger surface areas and slower velocities.

5. What is the range of a horizontally fired projectile?

The range of a horizontally fired projectile is the horizontal distance it travels before hitting the ground or another object. The range is affected by the initial velocity, the angle of launch, and the effects of air resistance. The maximum range is achieved when the angle of launch is 45 degrees.