Transducing forces through a viscoelastic gel

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi,

I'm working with Matrigel, a biological hydrogel so to say, and would like to exert forces on something inside the gel. I was wondering, if in general, viscoelastic gels can transduce forces.

Consider the following setup:
Matrigel in small wells (1 or 2 mm in diameter), a force is exerted on this wells (causing them to deform), can something inside the well "feel" this force?

Thanks!

Answers and Replies

Doug Huffman
Gold Member
Necessarily inside the well? On exterior, optical deformation could be observed, pressure varying polarization of the plastic. Individual strain gauges would be expensive on a 96-well plate. Optically observe the variation in level if the force displaces the gel against gravity.

Necessarily inside the well? On exterior, optical deformation could be observed, pressure varying polarization of the plastic. Individual strain gauges would be expensive on a 96-well plate. Optically observe the variation in level if the force displaces the gel against gravity.
I was thinking of making wells in a PDMS substrate for example, which would be more easy to deform than a well plate. And it's cells inside the matrigel (they don't grow anywhere else) that I'd like to manipulate.