1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transfer function from a fourth order polynomial?

1. Apr 16, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Excel data for an assignment I'm doing has spit out a curve from some experimental data as shown here:
    KcJyEEj.png

http://i.imgur.com/KcJyEEj.png

I'm wondering if there's a nice way to put this as a transfer function in the form of Y/X or something similar

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Simply using algebra seemed to not work to be able to get y/x, unless I'm missing something obvious.
    I figured maybe if I used laplace transforms I could get a situation where Y/X would appear. Not sure how to go about this as it's pretty different from the differential equations laplace is normally used on.

Any idea?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2016 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

The polynomial is probably the only way to express it, though you could factorize it if you consider that would look neater.

Maybe a quartic is too unwieldy for you? I'd expect your real life process will be limited to a restricted range of x values, so you could try approximating your quartic over that useful range with a cubic or even a binomial. You might find you can get a good fit.

The usual "transfer function" involves both magnitude and phase, each smoothly changing with frequency. You have no phase term here, apart from maybe a couple of abrupt sign reversals as the graph crosses the x-axis.

4. Apr 20, 2016 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, since the relationship is nonlinear. A transfer function needs to be linear, by definition. You can approximate nonlinear relationships by describing functions, but this is not a true transfer function.

Some people might take your expression and call it a transfer function. Not common usage but OK IMO.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transfer_function

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted