Transfer function-leading and lagging

• Thread starter pyroknife
  • Start date
In summary, the output to input amplitude ratio for the given transfer function G(jw) is 1/sqrt(2) and the phase relationship is that the output leads the input by 45 degrees. The argument jw is considered the input, while the expression on the right side is the output. Care must be taken when calculating the phase using arctan to preserve the signs of the numerator and denominator.
pyroknife
If we have the transfer function:
G(jw)=1/(1-j) where j=imaginary number

What is the output to input amplitude ratio and the phase relationship.

I'm confused about which one is the output and which is the input. I thought jw, the argument, is the input and everything on the right hand side is the output?

If so, this is not getting my the right answers that output to input amplitude ratio=1/sqrt(2) and that output leads input by 45 degrees.

Physics news on Phys.org
pyroknife said:
If we have the transfer function:
G(jw)=1/(1-j) where j=imaginary number

What is the output to input amplitude ratio and the phase relationship.

I'm confused about which one is the output and which is the input. I thought jw, the argument, is the input and everything on the right hand side is the output?

If so, this is not getting my the right answers that output to input amplitude ratio=1/sqrt(2) and that output leads input by 45 degrees.

G(jw) = output/input.

The magnitude of G(jw) = |G(jw)| = sqrt(Re^2 + Im^2)
where Re = "real part" and I am = "imaginary part".

The phase of output/input is arc tan(Im/Re). Be careful to preserve the sign of the numerator and the denominator. Arc tan(-b/a) is not the same angle as arctan(b/-a).

What is a transfer function?

A transfer function is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the input and output of a system. It describes how the output of a system changes in response to different inputs.

What does it mean for a transfer function to be leading or lagging?

A transfer function is said to be leading if the output signal leads the input signal in phase. This means that the output signal reaches its peak before the input signal. On the other hand, a transfer function is said to be lagging if the output signal lags behind the input signal in phase.

How do you determine if a transfer function is leading or lagging?

The phase angle of a transfer function determines if it is leading or lagging. If the phase angle is positive, the transfer function is leading, and if it is negative, the transfer function is lagging. The magnitude of the phase angle also indicates the degree of leading or lagging.

What are some real-world applications of transfer function-leading and lagging?

Transfer function-leading and lagging are commonly used in the fields of engineering and science to understand the behavior of systems. They are especially useful in electrical and mechanical systems, such as in control systems for robots and vehicles, to analyze and predict the response to different inputs.

What are the benefits of using transfer function-leading and lagging in scientific research?

Transfer function-leading and lagging provide a quantitative understanding of the relationship between inputs and outputs in a system. This allows scientists to make predictions and optimizations for various systems, leading to advancements in technology and scientific research.