Transfer function of Mass-Damber-Spring,connected through linkages

In summary, The conversation discusses the transfer function of a Mass-Damper-Spring system connected through linkages. The question is whether the linkages should be considered in the modeling of the system and if X1 is the input. The response indicates that X1 is likely the input, as the general equation is input * transfer function = output.
socrates_1
Transfer function of Mass-Damper-Spring,connected through linkages

Hi guys,I have posted a picture of the system I am trying to model in order to obtain its transfer function.
My question is: Do the linkages affect the modelling of the system and should I take them into account?Also, is X1 the input of this system?
Thanks!

Attachments

• physicsforumspic.png
    physicsforumspic.png
    17 KB · Views: 468
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
socrates_1 said:
My question is: Do the linkages affect the modelling of the system and should I take them into account?
What reason do you have to disregard them?

socrates_1 said:
Also, is X1 the input of this system?
You'd generally like to have input * transfer function = output. In your case, that would make X1(s) the input signal.

1. What is a transfer function?

A transfer function is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the input and output of a system. In this case, the transfer function describes how the input force affects the displacement of the mass-damper-spring system.

2. How is the transfer function derived for a mass-damper-spring system?

The transfer function for a mass-damper-spring system is derived using the laws of motion and Hooke's law. The equations of motion are solved to obtain the displacement of the mass, and then the transfer function is obtained by taking the Laplace transform of the displacement equation.

3. What are the parameters in the transfer function of a mass-damper-spring system?

The parameters in the transfer function include the mass of the object (m), the damping coefficient (c), and the spring constant (k). These parameters determine how the system responds to external forces and influences the shape of the transfer function.

4. How does the transfer function change if the linkages are added to the system?

The addition of linkages to the system will introduce additional parameters, such as the length and stiffness of the linkages, into the transfer function. This will alter the shape and complexity of the transfer function, making it more difficult to analyze and control the system.

5. Can the transfer function of a mass-damper-spring system with linkages be used for control purposes?

Yes, the transfer function can be used to design controllers for the system to achieve a desired response. However, the addition of linkages may complicate the control design and make it more challenging to achieve desired performance. Other factors, such as nonlinearities and external disturbances, should also be considered in the control design process.