1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transfer function to Pole-Zero Plot to Impulse Response Curve

1. Nov 25, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The question gives a transfer function. and we are asked to put it into pole zero form and then we are asked to sketch the positions of the poles and zeros of the system on the complex plane and then sketch the impulse response corresponding to each pole.

i have uploaded a matlab image of my pole-zero plot.
    i can do the whole question on matlab but that doesn't help with understanding how to solve it.

2. Relevant equations

g(s)=1/((s^2)+(18s)+181) ------- Transfer Function

3. The attempt at a solution

roots of transfer function denominator: ((s^2)+(18s)+181) = (s+(5-8j))(s+(5+8j))

therefore pole zero form:

g(s)=1/((s+(5-8j))(s+(5+8j)))

therefore the diagram of the poles and zeros would have no zeros and two poles at (-5,8) and another at (-5,-8) (Real axis,Imaginary Axis)

i can do upto this part but i am not understanding how to sketch the impulse response curve.

any help would be great.

Thank You.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2011 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

1.What is the transfer function of an impulse?

2. Remember linearity? Let F(s) = L{f(t)}, then

if F(s) = F1(s) + F2(s) + ...

Then f(t) = L-1{F1(s)} + L-1{F2(s)} + ...

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook