1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transferring to CA School to Finish Undergrad - Private or Public?

  1. Jul 10, 2012 #1
    Hello all,

    I am looking to transfer to CA next school year to finish my Physics BSc at a school that has a stronger program than my current university, which will better prep me for grad school. I am coming from out of state, so it actually seems like private universities could cost me less than state schools. For example, one UC school I looked at was $13k for in-state tuition and $55k for out-of-state! I know that there are traditionally more grants and scholarships available to private school students, so that could help.

    My question is, should I apply to a variety of types of schools? A variety meaning private, UC, and Cal State schools. I'm looking to go to southern California (work-related reasons), so the only private schools with strong physics programs that I see are USC and Cal Tech, either of which would be awesome. There are plenty of UC schools and Cal State schools. So, should I apply to both of those private universities and several of the UC and Cal State schools as a back-up?

    Thanks for the help!
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2012 #2


    User Avatar

    Staff: Mentor

    I know about Harvey Mudd only by reputation, but from what I've heard it's far from, uh, mud. There was a thread about it sometime during recent months, involving a prospective student and a student who's actually there.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook