1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transformation of a graph

1. Oct 21, 2006 #1
    [​IMG]

For this graph, I'm not sure exactly how the equation y = (x³+1)² is transformed to get the graph (x³/8 + 1)². I said that it was just horizontally stretched by a factor of 8 but there has been a change in its intercepts. Also, not all the x-coordinates are changed by a factor of 8. Can anyone help clarify this for me? Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2006 #2

0rthodontist

Science Advisor

Compare [tex](x^3 + 1)^2[/tex]
    to [tex](\frac{x^3}{8} + 1)^2[/tex]
    The latter equals
    [tex]((\frac{x}{2})^3 + 1)^2[/tex]
    Now let's say that I plug in a value x1 to f(x) for some function f, and get a value y1 back. Now what number x2 should I plug into the function g(x) = f(x/2) to get the same value y1? This is asking, what should x2 be if you have f(x1) = f(x2 / 2)? Do you see how to apply this to your problem?

4. Oct 21, 2006 #3
    Oh .. so it isn't horizontally stretched by a factor of 8 but rather a factor of 2? It seems to work out that way:

f(x) - (1,4), (-1,0) ...
    g(x) - (2,4), (-2,0) ...

Hmm... can someone explain why is it so? At a first glance, one would assume that the 1/8 would affect the original graph rather than 1/2

5. Oct 21, 2006 #4

0rthodontist

Science Advisor

:grumpy: :grumpy:

6. Oct 22, 2006 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

As was just pointed out to you, g(x) = f(x/2). x itself is not divided by
    8. That should be all the expanation you need.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?