1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transformation Of Probability Density Functions

1. Jan 20, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let X and Y be random variables. The pdfs are [itex]f_X(x)=2(1-x)[/itex] and [itex]f_Y(y) = 2(1-y)[/itex]. Both distributions are defined on [0,1].

Let Z = X + Y. Find the pdf for Z, [itex]f_Z(z)[/itex].

2. Relevant equations
    I'm using ideas, not equations.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm dying of curiosity about where I'm going wrong. I'm so sure of each step, but my answer can't be correct because [itex]\int_0^2 f_Z(z)\,dz[/itex] is zero! Here's my logic.

Consider the cdf (cumulative distribution function) for Z:

[tex]
    F_Z(z) = P(Z\le z) = P(X+Y \le z)
    [/tex]

Here, [itex]F_Z(z)[/itex] is the volume above the triangle shown in the image I attached to this message (in case something happens to the attachment, it's the triangle in quadrant 1 bounded by x=0, y=0 and x+y=z.)

The volume above the shaded region represents [itex]F_Z(z)[/itex].

[tex]
    F_Z(z) = \int_{x=0}^{x=z} 2(1-x)\int_{y=0}^{y=z-x} 2(1-y)\,dy\,dx
    [/tex]

Performing the integrals gives [itex]F_Z(z) = \frac{1}{6}z^4 - \frac{4}{3}z^3 + 2z^2[/itex]. Then taking the derivative of the cdf gives the pdf:

[tex]
    f_Z(z) = \partial_z F_Z(z) = \frac{2}{3}z^3 - 4z^2 +4z
    [/tex]

Unfortunately, this can't be right because the integral of this function over [0,2] gives zero.

I also would've expected that the maximum of [itex]f_Z(z)[/itex] would be at z=0 since individually, X and Y are most likely to be zero.

I checked my algebra and calculus with Mathematica; it looked fine. I think there's a conceptual problem. There must be something I don't understand or some point I'm not clear about.

What did I do wrong?

Attached Files:

• img.png
      img.png
      File size:
      559 bytes
      Views:
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2007 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have to split the problem into different cases.

i) z<0
    ii) z<1
    iii) 1<z<2
    iv) z>2

In each case the area of integration is different. But for each case, your model for the integral is

[tex]F_Z(z)=\int\int_{\{(x,y)\in [0,1]\times[0,1]:\ y\leq z-x, \}}f_{XY}(x,y)dxdy[/tex]

So you're integrating over the area that's the intersection of the square [0,1] x [0,1] with the area under the curve y=z-x.

(Btw, you never said that X and Y are independant but I assume they are?)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2007
  4. Jan 21, 2007 #3
    Ahhh.... yes. I *completely* understand.

We're integrating that portion of the unit square (in QI with lower left corner at origin) that lies underneath x+y=1.

So when 0<z<1, there's only one function that represents the "top": the line x+y=z.

And when 1<z<2, there's two functions: y=1 and x+y=z, and therefore we need to break the region of integration into two portions.

Got it. Thanks.

And, yes. :-)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?