Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transformer currents in primary and secondary question

1. May 27, 2012 #1
    I'm reviewing transformers and I have some confusion over the current

s is for secondary and p is for primary

I know that
    Vs = Vp(Ns/Np)
    and
    Ip = Is(Ns/Np)

So when you have a load across the secondary terminal you get your current through Vs/Rload.
    But does this mean for current in the primary coil, it has nothing to do with the inductance value or resistance (if I added a resistor before the inductor in the primary section)? V/Z = I does not work here?

If this is true what would the current be if I left the secondary terminal open so no current will flow. What do i use to calculate current in the primary coil? Is it affected by the inductance value then?

thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2012 #2

vk6kro

Science Advisor

Those formulas are for ideal transformers. There will be a current in the primary due to the load in the secondary, but there will also be a current due to the inductance of the primary winding.
    It is just a coil and it has to have some value of inductance and so it has a reactance which will allow a certain amount of current to flow from the supply.

Cheap transformers are sometimes wound on inadequate iron formers and so don't have enough inductance or reactance to stop a relatively large current flowing even if there is no load.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook