1. adjacent

adjacent 1,533
    Gold Member

I have a list of contacts like this:
    Code (Text):

Name ,Address:House ,Island ,Atoll  7777777

I have a large number of these and I want the details to be separated to different columns. Is there any program which will do this for me?

I tried searching google and got nothing.
    :confused:

2. jcsd
  3. jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Microsoft Excel's "import wizard" (which you get automatically when you open a text file in Excel) can be used to remove the commas and the colon, and open the file as a spreadsheet. Then you can save it as a tab-delimited text file if that's more suitable for you than an Excel spreadsheet.

The Open Office clone of Excel might have a similar import wizard.

1 person likes this.
  4. Yes, you can do it with Open Office. Open a new spreadsheet and on the main menu click "Insert". Then click "Sheet From File". A dialog box will appear where you can select what delimiters you want to use.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  5. Borg

Borg 1,071
    Gold Member

If you include the word 'parse' in your search, you will get lots of hits - how to parse a text file.
    But, as posted, Excel is quick and easy.

1 person likes this.
  6. adjacent

adjacent 1,533
    Gold Member

Oh, I didn't know Excel was that great :smile:. I think I should learn MS office products more.

Thanks guys.

7. jtbell

Staff: Mentor

I was able to open and fix up your small sample (after copy-and-pasting it into a text file) as I described it, using Excel for Mac 2011. The details may differ for you depending on which version you have, but it took me only a couple of minutes to figure it out in the "wizard."

8. adjacent

adjacent 1,533
    Gold Member

Yeah, I got it done too.I opened the text file in excel and the wizard opened :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Draft saved Draft deleted