Transforming Boundary Conditions in Similarity Transform

• Thread starter member 428835
  • Start date
In summary, to bring boundary conditions through a similarity transform, you can follow these steps: start with the original boundary condition in terms of the transformed variables, substitute the transformation equations and simplify the expression, use the properties of the transformation, rewrite the boundary condition in terms of the original variables, use the boundary condition for the original variables to obtain the corresponding boundary condition for the transformed variables, and finally substitute the values at the boundary to obtain the final form of the boundary condition. If you need further clarification, please feel free to post your work. Good luck!
member 428835
Hi PF!

I am wondering how to bring boundary conditions through a similarity transform. The transform is as follows $$h(z,\tau) = \tau^a F(\eta)\\ \eta = C_2 z \tau^b\\L=\eta_{tip} C_2^{-1}\tau^{-b}$$ Before I continue, I have a pdf of a tex doc I made for this, but since I don't have the same syntax as these forums it would be easier if I could pm someone with the problem.

If not, please let me know, as I am totally fine with posting all of the work. I just want someone to check and see if my work is okay.

Thanks so much!

Actually, for ease I'll post my work for one here now so you get a better idea of what I'm talking about. The first boundary condition is ##F^+(\eta^+)=0## where ##\eta^+=1## so essentially ##F^+(1)=0##. I should say ##F^+\lambda^2=F## and ##\eta^+ \lambda = \eta##. Now we have ##F^+(1)=0 \implies \lambda^{-2} F(1)=0 \implies F(1)=0##.

From here ##\eta=1\implies z=C_2^{-1} \tau^{-b}## and thus ##h(C_2^{-1} \tau^{-b},\tau) = \tau^a F(1) = 0##.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there!

To bring boundary conditions through a similarity transform, you can use the following steps:

1. Start with the original boundary condition in terms of the transformed variables, in this case, ##F^+(\eta^+)=0##.

2. Substitute the transformation equations ##\eta = C_2 z \tau^b## and ##L=\eta_{tip} C_2^{-1}\tau^{-b}## into the boundary condition.

3. Simplify the resulting expression using the properties of the transformation.

4. Use the fact that ##F^+\lambda^2=F## and ##\eta^+ \lambda = \eta## to rewrite the boundary condition in terms of the original variables.

5. Use the boundary condition for the original variables, in this case, ##F(1)=0##, to obtain the corresponding boundary condition for the transformed variables.

6. Substitute the values of ##\eta## and ##\tau## at the boundary, in this case, ##\eta=1## and ##\tau=\eta_{tip} C_2^{-1} L^{-b}##, into the transformed boundary condition to obtain the final form of the boundary condition.

I hope this helps and please feel free to post your work for further clarification. Good luck!

Related to Transforming Boundary Conditions in Similarity Transform

What is a similarity transform?

A similarity transform is a geometric transformation that preserves the shape and angles of an object, but may change its size and orientation.

Why would someone want to undo a similarity transform?

Undoing a similarity transform allows for the original object to be restored to its original size and orientation. This may be necessary for accurate measurements or analysis.

What are the steps to undo a similarity transform?

The steps to undo a similarity transform are:

1. Identify the type of similarity transform (e.g. translation, rotation, scaling).
  2. Find the inverse operation for the type of transform (e.g. for translation, subtract the same amount from each coordinate).
  3. Apply the inverse operation to the transformed coordinates.
  4. Verify that the object has been restored to its original shape and orientation.

Can a similarity transform always be undone?

Yes, a similarity transform can always be undone as long as the original object's shape and angles were preserved. However, the accuracy of the restoration may be affected by the precision of the original transform.

Can a similarity transform be undone in any coordinate system?

Yes, a similarity transform can be undone in any coordinate system as long as the same type of transform was applied to all coordinates. However, it may be more complex to undo a similarity transform in a non-Cartesian coordinate system.