Transforming Order of ODE System

In summary, the conversation is about transforming a system of two second-order differential equations to a system of four first-order differential equations. This can be done using a Laplace transformation and replacing variables. A book by Boyce and DiPrima is suggested for further reference.
Mr.Brown
Hi
i got a question trying to solve some problems from my schools webpage and encountered a problem where I am given 2 RLC-Circuits and the corresponding dgls for the oscillation ( no problem so for all the standart basic E/M stuff)

But then I am asked to transform this system of 2 dgl´s of second order to a system of first order ode´s ( think i´ll need 4 of them)

It ´s kind of the same thing like transforming from lagrange to hamilton mechanics ( in a waage sense at least :) )

Could you just test me which technique to use no need for a extensive explanetion of how to do don´t want to steals one´s time ;) Can look that up in a book.
bye and thanks so far :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Usually you can transform a second order ode to first order ode by using a Laplace transformation.

I not up on the EE jargon (dgl?) but, if you have a second-order diff. equation, you can turn it into a system of first order diff eq's (say y is a function of x) by replacing u=y and v=y' (so the second-order term y" is replaced by v').
This leads to a matrix form of the problem.
(Try the ode book by Boyce and DiPrima)

thx so far you really helped me out :)

1. What is an ODE system?

An ODE system, or ordinary differential equation system, is a set of equations that describe the relationship between multiple variables and their derivatives with respect to one independent variable.

2. Why is transforming order of ODE system important?

Transforming the order of an ODE system can make it easier to solve or analyze. It can also help to simplify the system and make it more understandable.

3. What are some common methods for transforming order of ODE system?

Some common methods include substitution, integration, and differentiation. Other methods may involve using trigonometric identities or linear algebra techniques.

4. Can transforming order of ODE system change the solution to the problem?

Yes, transforming the order of an ODE system can change the solution. This is because it may change the form of the equations, making them easier to solve or leading to different solutions altogether.

5. Are there any limitations to transforming order of ODE system?

Yes, there may be limitations depending on the specific ODE system and the chosen transformation method. Some transformations may not be possible or may lead to more complex equations, making the problem more difficult to solve.