1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transforming Order of ODE System

1. Mar 1, 2007 #1
    Hi
    i got a question trying to solve some problems from my schools webpage and encountered a problem where im given 2 RLC-Circuits and the corresponding dgls for the oscilation ( no problem so for all the standart basic E/M stuff)

But then im asked to transform this system of 2 dgl´s of second order to a system of first order ode´s ( think i´ll need 4 of them)

It ´s kind of the same thing like transforming from lagrange to hamilton mechanics ( in a waage sense at least :) )

Could you just test me which technique to use no need for a extensive explanetion of how to do don´t wanna steals one´s time ;) Can look that up in a book.
    bye and thanks so far :)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2007 #2
    Usually you can transform a second order ode to first order ode by using a Laplace transformation.

4. Mar 1, 2007 #3
    I not up on the EE jargon (dgl?) but, if you have a second-order diff. equation, you can turn it into a system of first order diff eq's (say y is a function of x) by replacing u=y and v=y' (so the second-order term y" is replaced by v').
    This leads to a matrix form of the problem.
    (Try the ode book by Boyce and DiPrima)

5. Mar 1, 2007 #4
    thx so far you really helped me out :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?