Transforming Simultaneous Equations into Simplified Form for Easy Solving

In summary, the equation A=k.sqrt(hj/2).{sqrt((1)+(m/hk)^2)+1}^(1/2) can be solved for A by taking the positive root and using \sqrt{a b} = \sqrt{a} \cdot \sqrt{b}.
mconn86
Hi, I have the following two equations of the form:

A^2 - B^2=hj(k^2) and 2AB=mjk

and I need to get them into the form

A=k.sqrt(hj/2).{sqrt((1)+(m/hk)^2)+1}^(1/2)

and

B=k.sqrt(hj/2).{sqrt((1)+(m/hk)^2)-1}^(1/2)

I've been trying in vain for a while now and its starting to annoy me coz I know it should be simple. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
What about you just solve the second one for either A or B and plug it into the other one?
Didn't check it, but if they are really equivalent it should work.

Yeah I've done that, that's not the problem really,its just getting it into the form I need.

I'm not sure I'll get exactly what you got, but I'll give it a try.

A^2 - B^2=hj(k^2) and 2AB=mjk

and I need to get them into the form

A=k.sqrt(hj/2).{sqrt((1)+(m/hk)^2)+1}^(1/2)

The second one gives B = mjk/2A. Plugging this into the first one gives
[tex]A^2 - \frac{ (m j k / 2)^2 }{ A^2 } = h j k^2 [/tex]
Calling [itex]\alpha = A^2[/itex] and multiplying through by [itex]\alpha[/itex], we get
[tex]\alpha^2 - h j k^2 \alpha - (m j k / 2)^2 = 0[/tex]
The solutions are
[tex]\alpha = \frac12\left( h j k^2 \pm \sqrt{h^2 j^2 k^4 + j^2 k^2 m^2 \right)[/tex]
so let's take the positive one. From now on I'll start taking things out of square roots by using [itex]\sqrt{X Y^2} = Y \sqrt{X}[/itex], so you need the assumption that they are positive. First rewrite alpha into
[tex]\alpha = \cdot \frac{1}{2} \left(h j k^2 + h j k^2 \sqrt{1 + m^2 / (h^2 k^2)} \right)[/tex]
and then take out h j k^2:
[tex]\alpha = k^2 \cdot \frac{h j}{2} \left(1 + \sqrt{1 + m^2 / (h^2 k^2)} \right)[/tex]
Solve [itex]\alpha = A^2[/itex] for A (pick the positive root again), take the k^2 outside the square root and use [itex]\sqrt{a b} = \sqrt{a} \cdot \sqrt{b}[/itex].

Related to Transforming Simultaneous Equations into Simplified Form for Easy Solving

1. What are simultaneous equations?

Simultaneous equations are a set of equations that contain two or more unknown variables. They are solved together to find the values of all the variables that satisfy each equation.

2. What is the purpose of solving simultaneous equations?

The purpose of solving simultaneous equations is to find the values of the unknown variables that satisfy each equation. This can help in solving real-world problems and making predictions based on mathematical models.

3. How many solutions can simultaneous equations have?

Simultaneous equations can have different numbers of solutions depending on the relationship between the equations. They can have one unique solution, no solution, or infinitely many solutions.

4. What are the different methods used to solve simultaneous equations?

There are several methods to solve simultaneous equations, including substitution, elimination, and graphing. Each method has its advantages and is used depending on the complexity of the equations.

5. What are some real-world applications of simultaneous equations?

Simultaneous equations have various real-world applications, such as in economics, physics, and engineering. They can be used to model and solve problems related to interest rates, motion and forces, and electrical circuits, among others.