Transistor base-emitter voltage needed for a current to flow

In summary, the base-emitter voltage needed for a current to flow through a transistor is typically around 0.65 volts, but can vary depending on temperature and current. However, even with a zero voltage, some leakage current can still flow. For practical applications, the bjt typically operates at a forward voltage drop of 0.10 to 10 mA, and 0.60 to 0.70 V. When used as a switch or an amplifier, the 0.65 V value for the Vbe forward drop is a reliable approximation.
Amy54
what base-emitter voltage is needed for a current to flow through the trasnsistor?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Amy54 said:
what base-emitter voltage is needed for a current to flow through the trasnsistor?

One forward p-n junction drop, about 0.65 volts, as the b-e junction is just a forward biased diode. This varies with temperature and current. At high temp and low current, the Vbe may fall to 0.50 V, and may exceed 0.80 V at low temp and high current. But, 0.65 V is a good first order approximation to use as a starting point. I hope this helps.

Claude

cabraham said:
0.65 V is a good first order approximation to use as a starting point.
This was discussed in stewarcs's reference (see Base-Emitter Junction Details)

Last edited:
In reality, any forward voltage will make current flow from base to emitter, but low voltages will originate very small currents.

CEL said:
In reality, any forward voltage will make current flow from base to emitter, but low voltages will originate very small currents.

No matter what answer I give, someone can always "one up" me and add something I omitted. So allow me to return the favor. Even with a base-emitter forward voltage drop of *zero* volts (b-e short-circuited), some collector current will indeed flow. This is "Iceo", and if the base-emitter junction is open, the current is "Icbo". These are leakage currents from the reverse biased collector to base and emitter terminals.

I interpreted the OP's question from a practical utilitarian sense that one uses a transistor to obtain power gain greater than unity. If a low powered signal source such as a microcontroller, transducer, etc. is used to actuate a higher powered device such as a solenoid, lamp, motor, etc., operating a bjt with Ib = 250 nA, & Vbe = 0.40 V is of no practical use. It was understood by me that the OP intended for the bjt to do something useful. If the bjt application is that of linear amplification, the dc bias point, or "quiescent point", is generally in the neighborhood of 0.10 to 10 mA, and 0.60 to 0.70 V.

Unless one is using the bjt as the logging element in a logarithmic amp/converter, Vbe = 0.65 V give or take a tad, twice that for a Darlington, is where it operates. When using a bjt as a switch or an amplifier, the 0.65 V value for the Vbe forward drop is a *darn good* first order approximation. Peace and BR.

Claude

Last edited:
cabraham said:
No matter what answer I give, someone can always "one up" me and add something I omitted. So allow me to return the favor. Even with a base-emitter forward voltage drop of *zero* volts (b-e short-circuited), some collector current will indeed flow. This is "Iceo", and if the base-emitter junction is open, the current is "Icbo". These are leakage currents from the reverse biased collector to base and emitter terminals.

I interpreted the OP's question from a practical utilitarian sense that one uses a transistor to obtain power gain greater than unity. If a low powered signal source such as a microcontroller, transducer, etc. is used to actuate a higher powered device such as a solenoid, lamp, motor, etc., operating a bjt with Ib = 250 nA, & Vbe = 0.40 V is of no practical use. It was understood by me that the OP intended for the bjt to do something useful. If the bjt application is that of linear amplification, the dc bias point, or "quiescent point", is generally in the neighborhood of 0.10 to 10 mA, and 0.60 to 0.70 V.

Unless one is using the bjt as the logging element in a logarithmic amp/converter, Vbe = 0.65 V give or take a tad, twice that for a Darlington, is where it operates. When using a bjt as a switch or an amplifier, the 0.65 V value for the Vbe forward drop is a *darn good* first order approximation. Peace and BR.

Claude

I was not nitpicking your post. The 0.6 to 0.7 V figure is in any elementary book about transistors, so I don't think anyone would ask such a question in this forum. I supposed that the OP was interested in knowing if a very small voltage would produce a base current independently of any practical application.

1. What is a transistor base-emitter voltage?

A transistor base-emitter voltage is the voltage difference between the base and emitter terminals of a transistor. It is an important factor in determining whether or not a current will flow through the transistor.

2. Why is the base-emitter voltage important for current flow?

The base-emitter voltage is important because it controls the flow of current through the transistor. If the voltage is above a certain threshold, the transistor will allow current to flow from the collector to the emitter. If the voltage is below the threshold, the transistor will be in a non-conducting state and no current will flow.

3. How is the base-emitter voltage determined?

The base-emitter voltage is determined by the material properties and physical structure of the transistor. It is also affected by the external circuit and the current flowing through the transistor.

4. What is the typical range for transistor base-emitter voltage?

The typical range for transistor base-emitter voltage is between 0.6V and 0.9V for silicon transistors. However, this can vary depending on the specific type of transistor and the operating conditions.

5. How does the base-emitter voltage affect transistor performance?

The base-emitter voltage affects transistor performance by controlling the amount of current that can flow through the transistor. A higher voltage will allow more current to flow, while a lower voltage will restrict current flow. This can also impact the gain and switching speed of the transistor.