Transitioning from Social Sciences to Physics: A Student's Journey

• Thread starter maxstronge
  • Start date
In summary, transitioning from social sciences to physics can be challenging, but achievable with dedication and hard work. The key differences between the two fields lie in their focus on human society and behavior versus matter and energy. While a strong math background can be helpful, it is not a requirement for transitioning to physics. There are various resources available, such as online courses and tutoring services, to aid in the transition process. Transferable skills from social sciences to physics include critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills, as well as data analysis, research, and communication skills.
maxstronge
How did you find PF?
Google search
Hello to all the people of PhysicsForums, I'm a student fascinated by physics that's looking to transition from social sciences into a more physically-inclined discipline. Looking forward to learning and speaking with you!

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF! :smile:

To anyone that may be reading: I've put another post up in the Academic Advising forum - does anyone know how long it takes for those posts to be manually approved?

I approved it just now. Thanks for the heads-up that it was stuck in the approval queue. It probably ended up there because you posted a bunch of links in one of your first threads here, which can set off alarm bells with the forum software's spam-watch features. In this case, it was totally appropriate for you to post those links as part of the questions that you were asking.

:smile:

berkeman said:
I approved it just now. Thanks for the heads-up that it was stuck in the approval queue. It probably ended up there because you posted a bunch of links in one of your first threads here, which can set off alarm bells with the forum software's spam-watch features. In this case, it was totally appropriate for you to post those links as part of the questions that you were asking.

:smile:

Thanks for doing that! I can see how that would look suspicious to a bot, lol. Appreciate the fast reply!

Likes berkeman
Welcome, maxstronge :cool:

Related to Transitioning from Social Sciences to Physics: A Student's Journey

1. How difficult is it to transition from social sciences to physics?

The difficulty of transitioning from social sciences to physics largely depends on the individual's background and level of preparation. While it may be challenging, with dedication and hard work, it is certainly achievable.

2. What are the key differences between social sciences and physics?

Social sciences focus on the study of human society and behavior, while physics is the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. This means that the methods, theories, and concepts used in each field may differ significantly.

3. Do I need to have a strong math background to transition to physics?

Having a strong math background is definitely helpful, as physics heavily relies on mathematical concepts and equations. However, it is not impossible to transition without a strong math background - it may just require additional effort and dedication to catch up.

4. What resources are available to help with the transition to physics?

There are many resources available to help with the transition to physics, including online courses, textbooks, study groups, and tutoring services. It is also helpful to reach out to professors or students in the physics department for guidance and support.

5. What skills from social sciences are transferable to physics?

Critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills are highly transferable from social sciences to physics. Additionally, skills such as data analysis, research, and communication can also be valuable in the field of physics.