1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Translation in Spherical Coordinates

1. Mar 28, 2010 #1
    Hello, this one is doing my head in. I'm trying to plot and play with wavefunctions by moving the originm, but i need to do it in spherical coordinates.

Suppose i have a function G(r',theta',phi'), centered at the origin of the system r',theta',phi'. I also have a similar G(r'',theta'',phi''). I need to plot these on the same spherical coordinate system (r,theta,phi). The origin of (r',theta',phi') is located at x=x0 of (r,theta,phi). How do i convert G(r',theta',phi') to G(r,theta,phi)?

This problem is easy in cartesian, i just change x to x-x0. However, the functions i'm dealing with have square roots and therefore a simple conversion is not possible.

Thanks in advance for the help!
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2010 #2
    Use the formula for shift of origin in spherical coordinates. ( It won't be very difficult as you have x0 on the X axis - phi wouldn't change).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook