Translations math problem (gr 12 level)

• Thread starter Senjai
  • Start date
In summary, the original function y=f(x) is transformed to a new function -2y-2=f(0.5x-3). Given that the point (-3, -2) is on the original function, the point (0, 0) will be on the new function after applying the transformations -2y-2=f(0.5x-3). This can be shown by setting f(-3)=-2 and solving for the value of x, which is 0, and then plugging it into the equation to solve for the value of y, which is also 0. This is the result of the horizontal and vertical transformations that were applied to the original function.
Senjai

Homework Statement

If the function y=f(x) is transformed to -2y-2=f(0.5x-3), and the point (-3, -2) is on f(x), which of the following will be on the new function -2y-2=f(0.5x-3)?

Homework Equations

[tex] y = {af}\left[b(x-h)\right] + k [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

When i attempted this question, i got (-9, -1) which is wrong, i don't know the answer still. I am still unsure really how to show my work so i pretty much did the horizontal translations and scale factors to x, and vertical translations and scale factors to y.

after rewriting the function, i have [itex] y = -\frac{1}{2}(0.5x-3) + 2 [/itex]

in an attempt to show work i showed the transformations.

[itex]x \rightarrow 0.5x [/itex]
[itex]x \rightarrow x - 3 [/itex]
[itex]y \rightarrow 2y [/itex]
[itex]y \rightarrow -y{}\textit{(reflection on x axis)} [/itex]
[itex]y \rightarrow y - 2 [/itex]

I then simply tried to run those transformations on the x and y values seperatly.
(-3, -2)

x = -3(2) -3 = -9
y = -((-1/2)(-2)) + 2 = 1?? I am lost,

i don't really know how to show my owkrk for this question, nor how to do it properly.
any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
This was also a multiple choice question. Possible answers were
(-9, -1)
(1, 0)
(0, 0)
(-12, 2)

Senjai said:

Homework Statement

If the function y=f(x) is transformed to -2y-2=f(0.5x-3), and the point (-3, -2) is on f(x), which of the following will be on the new function -2y-2=f(0.5x-3)?
Saying that "(-3, -2) is on f(x)" means that f(-3)= -2. In order that we be able to use that, without any other knowledge of f, we need to be able to apply f to -3 so would have to have 0.5x- 3= -3 so 0.5x= 0 or x= 0. In that case, we have -2y- 2= f(-3)= -2 so -2y= 0 and y= 0. The point is (0, 0).

Last edited by a moderator:
wow, i feel really really dumb, makes sense putting it that way.. looked at it on a graph, was able to do it that way, algebraically i wasn't able to see it like that.. so its easy, transformation applied to x = previous x value? i don't understand why you can't sub -3 in for x and use that to transform it though, sorry for being all dumb about it...

~Senjai

Senjai said:
(snip)
after rewriting the function, i have [itex] y = -\frac{1}{2}(0.5x-3) + 2 [/itex]
That's not right. What happened to the f? If the function [tex]y = f(x)[/tex] is transformed to [tex]{-}2y{-}2 = f(0.5x{-}3)[/tex], then
[tex]y = {-}\frac{1}{2}[f(0.5x{-}3)] {-} 1[/tex].

But you don't need to do this at all; HallsofIvy's solution is the way to go.

1. What is a translation in math?

A translation in math is a transformation that moves an object or figure from one location to another without changing its orientation or shape. It is also known as a slide or a shift.

2. How do you perform a translation in math?

To perform a translation in math, you need to know the amount and direction of the movement. You then shift each point of the figure the same distance in the specified direction.

3. What is the difference between a translation and a reflection?

The main difference between a translation and a reflection is that a translation involves moving an object in a particular direction, while a reflection involves flipping the object over a line of symmetry.

4. Can translations be done in any direction?

Yes, translations can be done in any direction. They can be horizontal, vertical, diagonal, or a combination of these directions.

5. How can translations be useful in real-life applications?

Translations are useful in real-life applications such as map-making, computer graphics, and engineering. They are also used in navigation and in creating 3D models.