1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Translations math problem (gr 12 level)

1. Dec 26, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If the function y=f(x) is transformed to -2y-2=f(0.5x-3), and the point (-3, -2) is on f(x), which of the following will be on the new function -2y-2=f(0.5x-3)?

2. Relevant equations
    [tex] y = {af}\left[b(x-h)\right] + k [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    When i attempted this question, i got (-9, -1) which is wrong, i don't know the answer still. I am still unsure really how to show my work so i pretty much did the horizontal translations and scale factors to x, and vertical translations and scale factors to y.

after rewriting the function, i have [itex] y = -\frac{1}{2}(0.5x-3) + 2 [/itex]

in an attempt to show work i showed the transformations.

[itex]x \rightarrow 0.5x [/itex]
    [itex]x \rightarrow x - 3 [/itex]
    [itex]y \rightarrow 2y [/itex]
    [itex]y \rightarrow -y{}\textit{(reflection on x axis)} [/itex]
    [itex]y \rightarrow y - 2 [/itex]

I then simply tried to run those transformations on the x and y values seperatly.
    (-3, -2)

x = -3(2) -3 = -9
    y = -((-1/2)(-2)) + 2 = 1?? im lost,

i dont really know how to show my owkrk for this question, nor how to do it properly.
    any help would be appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 26, 2008 #2
    This was also a multiple choice question. Possible answers were
    (-9, -1)
    (1, 0)
    (0, 0)
    (-12, 2)
  4. Dec 26, 2008 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Saying that "(-3, -2) is on f(x)" means that f(-3)= -2. In order that we be able to use that, without any other knowledge of f, we need to be able to apply f to -3 so would have to have 0.5x- 3= -3 so 0.5x= 0 or x= 0. In that case, we have -2y- 2= f(-3)= -2 so -2y= 0 and y= 0. The point is (0, 0).
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2008
  5. Dec 26, 2008 #4
    wow, i feel really really dumb, makes sense putting it that way.. looked at it on a graph, was able to do it that way, algebraically i wasn't able to see it like that.. so its easy, transformation applied to x = previous x value? i dont understand why you cant sub -3 in for x and use that to transform it though, sorry for being all dumb about it...

6. Dec 28, 2008 #5
    That's not right. What happened to the f? If the function [tex]y = f(x)[/tex] is transformed to [tex]{-}2y{-}2 = f(0.5x{-}3)[/tex], then
    [tex]y = {-}\frac{1}{2}[f(0.5x{-}3)] {-} 1[/tex].

But you don't need to do this at all; HallsofIvy's solution is the way to go.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?