1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transparent and Invisible

1. Nov 15, 2015 #1
    Why is a smooth clean piece of glass transparent but not invisible?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2015 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

What is the difference between transparent and invisible?

4. Nov 15, 2015 #3
    Transparent objects allow light to pass through neither absorbing nor reflecting nor scattering it. Invisible objects are not perceivable by vision.

5. Nov 15, 2015 #4
    There is always some scattering, particularly from the edges. Indeed, if there is no scattering, absorption or reflection, the object will indeed be invisible. That is, however, the ideal case.

6. Nov 15, 2015 #5
    So the fact that glass scatters light makes it transparent but not invisible?

7. Nov 15, 2015 #6

Dale

So what other optical properties or effects might a transparent object have that would be percievable by vision? Can you think of any other quantity that is often used to characterize transparent media?

8. Nov 15, 2015 #7

fresh_42

Invisibility means electromagnetic waves are bent around the object. For some frequencies and small objects they've already been able to build cloaks. In transparent objects the waves just go through.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  9. Nov 15, 2015 #8
    I thought about it but I can't come up with anything else unfortunately.

10. Nov 15, 2015 #9

Dale

Refraction. It is the thing that makes lenses work and makes straight sticks look bent when they go from water to air.

11. Nov 15, 2015 #10
    But the medium of transmission is a smooth piece of glass.

12. Nov 15, 2015 #11

Dale

Yes. Do you know what refraction is? You may want to read about it.

13. Nov 15, 2015 #12
    As DaleSpam points out, refraction makes even transparent objects "visible" because you can see the "bending" of light as it passes through the object. It is also true that the edges of any object, glass or whatever, are rough enough to scatter light, also making the object "visible"

14. Nov 17, 2015 #13
    But refraction occurs only when the light passes the boundary between media such as air and glass at an angle. It doesn't happen when the light hits the boundary in a direction perpendicular to the medium.
    Isn't this relevant?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  15. Nov 17, 2015 #14
    I wasn't sure at first because English is not my first language but I brushed up on my knowledge of it. However, as I replied to Chandra Prayaga refraction occurs only when the light passes the boundary between media such as air and glass at an angle. It doesn't happen when the light hits the boundary in a direction perpendicular to the medium as far as I know.
    Isn't this also of relevance when answering the question?

16. Nov 17, 2015 #15

Dale

Your eyes are not limited to viewing surfaces at right angles. Particularly with binocular vision, it would be unusual to find a transparent object positioned such that all of its surfaces were perpendicular to your vision.

17. Nov 17, 2015 #16

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

Even if you are looking at a smooth, transparent surface at right angles, a surface that has a refractive index different from air will cause reflection. It will look shiny.

18. Nov 18, 2015 #17

The youtube video above, is a demonstration of why the refractive index is important here, not just the transmission.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook