1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Transposition of Formula, hopefully a simple one!

1. Sep 17, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The balance equation for a I/P system is:

Pout = (KcY/Ax)*Iin + FsZ/Ax

Where:

Kc = 2500
    x+y = 0.1
    Z = 0.075
    A = 0.05

Kc is the constant of proportionality relating to the input coil and Fs is the force exerted by the zero spring.

a - Determine suitable values of y and x to give a straight line response of 'A' (shown on a graph I havnt put up here)

2. Relevant equations

Pout = (KcY/Ax)*Iin + FsZ/Ax

Y = Mx + C

3. The attempt at a solution

According to the graph, the intercept (C) of the line runs through zero, thus Its safe to discount the FsZ/Ax part of the equation, leaving me with:

Pout = (KcY/Ax)*In

(Y=mx)

According to the graph, reading values for Pout and In, these are:

@ Pout = 1.0bar then In = 20mA.

putting these values into the formula:

1.0 = (KcY/Ax)*0.02

Transposing gives

1.0/0.02 = KcY/Ax

thus

50 = KcY/Ax

and I know that A = 0.05 and Kc = 2500

50 = 2500*Y / 0.05*Ax

This is where I get a little confused as to the correct method of transposing to give x, I will run through the rest of my working now...

50*0.05 = 2500*Y / x (moving the 0.05 from the bottom of one side to the top - becoming a multiple)

thus

2.5 = 2500*Y/X

2.5/2500 = 0.001

0.001 = Y / X

as mentioned earlier on, x+y = 0.1
    so logically, y = 100-x
    inserting in the formula...

0.001 = 100 - x / x

shifting the 0.1 across..

0.001 -0.1 = - x / x

Heres the bit where I run into trouble, Im not sure how to deal with the -x / x in order to get it into one value,

Im a little rusty when I get a further into transposition but this is driving me up the wall as its the key moment in the question which unlocks the value for further working.

I tried multiplying each side by x to remove the fraction, ending up with:

-0.099 * (x) = -x * (x)

which I would then assume to give?

-0.099x = -x2 ?????

Like I said short of going in to see my tutor next week im a little stuck, if it does square the negative x how do I remove the x on the other side? argh!

Looking back at the working Im not even entirely sure -0.099 is a correct value either but If someone could give guidance on how to deal with the x's that would be great....

thanks in advance...

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I'm going to assume that your work up to here is correct. Your formatting makes it a little hard to read, since I have to parse KcY as meaning Kc * y, while Ax is A * x.

Since Y * Kc/(Ax) = 50, then Y * Kc = 50Ax, and Y = 50A x /Kc.

Assuming A and Kc are constants, there is a linear relationship between x and Y. (Why is Y capped by x not?)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook