What Values of 'a' and 'b' Ensure the Continuity of the Function f(x)?

• Thread starter darshanpatel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary: You are asking me? It either did or it didn't - you are the one doing the problem ;)When all the variables cancel out - what does that mean?Note: you did not write out the calculation correctly.You start with:(1) a+b=-3(2) 3(a+b)=11using (2) gets: a=(11/3)-bsub into (1) gets: (11/3)-b+b=-3 => 11=-9... what does that usually mean?Check it with a graph:What sort of curve is f(x)=(a+b)x ?Plot the two points you need it to pass through, then try to draw one of those curves through both of them
darshanpatel

Homework Statement

Find the values of 'a' and 'b' that make f(x) a continuous function.

f(x) =
x+4, x≤-1
ax+bx, -1<x<3
3x+2, x≥3

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I plugged -1 and 3 into their respective functions to get the points: (-1,3) and (3,11)
(-1)+4=3
3(3)+2=11

Found the slope between those two points: m=2, otherwise known as 'a'
m=(11-3)/(3-(-1))=2 ---> a

Plugged that into the point-slope formula using the point (-1,3)
y-3=2(x+1)

Solved it for b:
y-3=2x+2
y=2x+5 -----> y=mx+b so 5 is 'b'

a=2 b=5

Line that fills the gap or jump between other two equations is: y=2x+5

I even graphed it to make sure and that is the equation of the line that would fill the gap between (x+4) and (3x+2) but if you plug the values of 'a' and 'b' into the original equation, it isn't right and doesn't make sense:

ax+bx ----> 2x+5x ----> f(x)=7x to make it continues, which is wrong

I don't understand the +bx part of the ax+bx

Physics news on Phys.org
f(x) =
x+4, x≤-1
ax+bx, -1<x<3
3x+2, x≥3

ax+bx ----> 2x+5x ----> f(x)=7x to make it continues, which is wrong
... shouldn't that be ax+b: -1<x<3

That's what I thought it should be but it says ax+bx and I don't think it's possible with ax+bx

Simon Bridge said:
... shouldn't that be ax+b: -1<x<3

If you insist - then the function in the regeon we are interetsed in is:
f(x)=ax+bx=(a+b)x

But you calculated a and b for the function f(x)=ax+b ... which is a totally different function.You need f(-1)=3 and f(3)=11 so do the math for f(x)=(a+b)x and see what happens.

Simon Bridge said:
If you insist - then the function in the regeon we are interetsed in is:
f(x)=ax+bx=(a+b)x

But you calculated a and b for the function f(x)=ax+b ... which is a totally different function.You need f(-1)=3 and f(3)=11 so do the math for f(x)=(a+b)x and see what happens.

When I try using a system of equations, it cancels all the variables out?

Such as 11=(a+b)(3)
(11/3)-b=a

That cancels out:
3=(a+b)(-1)
-3=a+b
when you plug it in

When I try using a system of equations, it cancels all the variables out?
You are asking me? It either did or it didn't - you are the one doing the problem ;)

When all the variables cancel out - what does that mean?

Note: you did not write out the calculation correctly.
You start with:
(1) a+b=-3
(2) 3(a+b)=11

using (2) gets: a=(11/3)-b
sub into (1) gets: (11/3)-b+b=-3 => 11=-9
... what does that usually mean?

Check it with a graph:
What sort of curve is f(x)=(a+b)x ?
Plot the two points you need it to pass through, then try to draw one of those curves through both of them.
What do you discover?

From your discovery, what do you conclude about the question?

Last edited:
Simon Bridge said:
You are asking me? It either did or it didn't - you are the one doing the problem ;)

You start with:
(1) a+b=-3
(2) 3(a+b)=11

Check it with a graph:
Plot the two points you need it to pass through, then try to draw one of those curves through both of them.
What do you discover?

The two points it needs to go through is (-1,3) and (3,11) indicating a straight line. When the variables cancel out it indicates...? I don't recall or remember anything about learning that

Simon Bridge said:

You start with:
(1) a+b=-3
(2) 3(a+b)=11

Check it with a graph:
What do you discover?

I understand that in order to solve this, you need to use a system of equations buy I am getting confused with setting it up and solving it:

x+4=y
ax+bx=y
3x+2=y

solving for 'y'
x+4=3x+2
x=1

plug 'x' in one of the equations you get: y=5

plug 'x' and 'y' into ax+bx=y

a(1)+b(1)=5
a+b=5

now I am back in the same loop but with a different approach, how do I get either 'a' or 'b'?

If you don't follow instructions or answer questions I cannot help you.

Simon Bridge said:

You start with:
(1) a+b=-3
(2) 3(a+b)=11

Check it with a graph:
What do you discover?

When all the variables cancel out, I believe it is a parallel line.
f(x)=(a+b)x indicates a straight line, the two significant points have a slope of 2 between them with a y-intercept of 5. That is why I got f(x)=2x+5 at the beginning. But since it does not follow ax+bx, I tried a different approach. Which does not seem to work out very well either.

I am trying to answer all of the questions as best as I can, but I don't know some of it, sorry.

Did you figure out what sort of curve (a+b)x is? Hint: put a+b=m.
Did you do the graph thing?

Simon Bridge said:
Did you figure out what sort of curve (a+b)x is? Hint: put a+b=m.
Did you do the graph thing?

It would be a straight line because when you plug in values for 'a' and 'b' they will add to for some 'x' such as 7x or something.

darshanpatel said:
It would be a straight line because when you plug in values for 'a' and 'b' they will add to for some 'x' such as 7x or something.

What Simon is trying to get at is that there is something special about the particular line y=mx for some constant m. How does it differ to y=mx+b for some b that isn't 0?

Mentallic said:
What Simon is trying to get at is that there is something special about the particular line y=mx for some constant m. How does it differ to y=mx+b for some b that isn't 0?

It is a y-intercept, so if it has a b, then it indicates a y intercept

darshanpatel said:
It is a y-intercept, so if it has a b, then it indicates a y intercept

If it doesn't have a b (this is the same as b=0) then it still has a y-intercept. It's the origin or (0,0) point that all lines y=mx pass through.

You should notice some symmetry with all lines that go through the origin. Now, what is the value of f(-1)? What about f(3)? Plot those points on a graph and see for yourself whether a line that passes through the origin can also pass through those two points. Does the algebra 11=-9 tell you anything now?

- that's exactly what I'm getting at, yes.
When describing a curve, you should say everything important that you know about it ... in this case you knew it was a line and that it went through the origin ... but not the slope. So you say: "a straight line through the origin".

Get a piece of graph paper out - I don't know why you won't do this - draw in the x and y axis, get a ruler, and draw the line through the origin that also passes through both target points. The equation of line that is the solution to your problem. There is a special reason for getting you to do it graphically in this case so go do it.

I have a feeling that you would normally only get results like 11=-9 when you've made a mistake somewhere.
This time you haven't made a mistake. That is the correct result and it is telling you something very important. Probably one of the most powerful class of results in maths... so it's an important lesson. Do the graph.

Related to What Values of 'a' and 'b' Ensure the Continuity of the Function f(x)?

What is a continuous function?

A continuous function is a mathematical concept in which the value of the function changes gradually and without sudden breaks or jumps. In other words, the graph of a continuous function can be drawn without lifting your pencil off the paper.

Why is continuity important in mathematics?

Continuity is important in mathematics because it allows us to make predictions and analyze the behavior of a function without any sudden changes or disruptions. It also allows for the use of calculus and other advanced mathematical concepts to solve problems involving continuous functions.

What are the conditions for a function to be continuous?

In order for a function to be continuous, three conditions must be met: the function must be defined at the point in question, the limit of the function at that point must exist, and the limit must equal the value of the function at that point.

How is continuity different from differentiability?

Continuity and differentiability are related but distinct concepts in mathematics. While continuity refers to the smoothness of a function, differentiability refers to its ability to be differentiated, or have a slope, at a specific point. A function can be continuous but not differentiable, and vice versa.

Can a function be continuous but not continuous at a specific point?

No, a function must be continuous at all points in its domain in order to be considered a continuous function. If there is a point where the function is not continuous, it is not a continuous function. However, a function can be continuous at a specific point but not continuous on its entire domain.