Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Travel faster than speed of light. According to what reference frame?

1. Nov 29, 2011 #1
    I have been reading Einsteins Relativity and a simple concept in special relativity is tripping me up. I have heard that an object can never reach the speed of light. To which observer is this speed limit seen by. I know your answer will be "By all observers" but that is what I don't get. Wouldn't that have to imply that there is a universal static reference frame by which you could judge whether or not something was traveling faster than the speed of light. If I am not allowed to travel faster than the speed of light by Earths reference frame and therefor I am moving at lets say c-1m/s according to Earth and the Earth is moving away from the Sun at way lets say 10 m/s (really slow, its just to illustrate my question) on the same line I am moving , wouldn't that mean that I am now moving at c + 9 m/s relative to the Sun? I'm sure this is where the intuitive idea of relativity breaks down. I just would like an explanation

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2011 #2
  4. Nov 29, 2011 #3

ghwellsjr

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you look up "velocity addition" in wikipedia, you will see this formula for adding two velocities:

2035aab1ba5af2e1ff296512b6a57779.png

Maybe you can see that no matter how close v and u are to c, the resultant speed, s, will still be less than c. Just for fun, let's make v and u equal to c. Then we have:

s = (c+c)/[1+(c2/c2)
    s = 2c/[1+1]
    s = 2c/2
    s = c

But since v and u must be less than c, the resultant speed will also be less than c. If you want you can do the actual calculation knowing that c = 299,792,458 m/s, v = 299,792,457 m/s and u = 10 m/s but the answer will come out less than c.

5. Nov 29, 2011 #4

ghwellsjr

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

OK, I did the calculation and got 299792457.0000000667 which you can see is only a tad more than v and still less than c. In other words, it hardly made any difference.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook