Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Traveling through a magnetic field

1. Mar 8, 2010 #1
    does anyone have any idea what would happen if something with mass traveling at the speed of light, traveled through a magnetic field?

i understand that the time diolation may still accur, but would there be anything else happen? like mabye a space diolation or, mabye even a dimension diolation?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2010 #2
    How can something with mass travel at the speed of light?
    secondly specify if the mass is a magnetic material or if its charged ...
    btw what is dimension dilation?

4. Mar 8, 2010 #3
    I think he means what would happen theoretically...

5. Mar 8, 2010 #4
    Yes...what would happen?
    hmm...for a start if you are talking about relativistic mass, nothing much i would suppose as photons have a relativistic mass and they travel through magnetic fields in earth =)
    if the particle in question is charged(i.e electron for example) it will perform circular motion and it is travelling quite close to the speed of light...
    any other ideas anyone?

6. Mar 8, 2010 #5
    What do you mean by "circular motion"? Do you mean ... orbiting the source of the magnetic field?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  7. Mar 9, 2010 #6
    well a magnetic field has an energy density and anything with energy curves space-time according to relativity , so it would then have a gravitational field so the mass would deflect.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook