Traveling to Andromeda in 2 Months with a Spaceship

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter LitleBang
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Andromeda Spaceship
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
LitleBang
Messages
64
Reaction score
0
Suppose I have a spaceship that can accelerate to c in one month of acceleration/deceleration of month and I want to travel to Andromeda. From my frame of reference wouldn't my total travel time be two months?
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
No material object can accelerate to c, it can only get close to c.
 
Last edited:
You may want to see The Relativistic Rocket [1] for details on how to calculate this and what the results are.

[1] http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SR/rocket.html
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Suppose I have a spaceship that can accelerate to c in one month of acceleration
Assuming this means "very, very close to c": 1 month in which system? For the ship: then sure. For earth? Then the ship will experience even less time.